cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incredible speed drop. Should I raise a ticket?

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Incredible speed drop. Should I raise a ticket?

Here's my results from the BT Speedtester (which recommends I should contact my ISP):
Download speedachieved during the test was - 11.68 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-0 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps
This speed is noticeable on all my PCs, including the one plugged directly into the Router.  Is this a fault I should report, or is there a possibility it's down to the rain?

-Dave
Edit: my upload speed is now faster than my download speed.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
7 REPLIES 7
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Incredible speed drop. Should I raise a ticket?

Are you having any problems with incoming or outgoing calls, or any audible noise on the line? Dial 17070 and make sure it identifies your line correctly, and select option 2 for the quiet line test.
Yes I would promptly raise a fault, but in view of your other post about usage I would phone up, so they can do some on the spot tests because my immediate reaction having seen both posts was I wonder if some sort of crossed-line is a possibility?
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Nope, line is quiet as the grave.  Quiet Line Test was exactly what it said on the tin.  Unfortunately I can't ring from home as I'm at work during PN's hours, and the wife wouldn't have a clue if they asked questions.  Will see how speeds are in the morning and raise a ticket. 
Funnily enough 11Mbps still isn't a terrible problem as even though it's been almost a year, I'm still chuffed at getting anything over 2Mbps!
-Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: lorisarvendu
Unfortunately I can't ring from home as I'm at work during PN's hours

The Help Desk is open 24/7 - you can call in to report a fault any time.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Call logged this morning. It appears that BT have reset my line to ADSL2 (up to 24Mbps).  Whatever that means.
A tortoise? What's that?
prichardson
Grafter

Morning Dave,
I've investigated this and the cause of the speed reduction was caused in part by what you were notified about, but it isn't the case you have been moved to ADSL2+.
Our internal systems have updated your account with a suppliers circuit reference of another line. It has also dispatched email notification to you associated with an order on that reference. Associated speed profiles have adjusted too.
We know the reason this has occurred, which appears to be human error.
I have corrected the records and returned the profile to default. I recommend rebooting both the Openreach modem and your router, to ensure a true profile is updated to your service.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Hi Phil
Thanks for that info.  I can reboot the router remotely but the modem will have to wait till I get home.
I'm interested in the comment about a "circuit reference of another line". I have another ticket logged regarding what looks like spurious results from the VMBU on Friday 23rd.  Is there any possibility of a connection between these two?
-Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
prichardson
Grafter

No, these two are not related.
Usage is not attributed by the circuit reference which was the cause of your problem.