cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing wired connections to FTTC router.

jtonline
Grafter

Increasing wired connections to FTTC router.

I've ordered an upgrade to FTTC.  Assuming BT turn up on the alloted day and they don't find any reasons not to connect my line...
As I understand it, the modem will connect to one of the four ports on the back of the router and to get the best performance, I'm better off using wired connections for my various network devices rather than 802.11g wi-fi.  (Getting Cat-5 cables back to the router isn't a problem).
To increase the number of available ports, can I just buy an unmanaged ethernet switch such as the Netgear FS108 and plug that into one of the three remaining ports on the back of the router, and then plug my devices (Laptop, Desktop PC, Smart TV, Freeview PVR, PS/3, Print Server) into the switch?
Regards,
Jules.
10 REPLIES 10
itsme
Grafter

Re: Increasing wired connections to FTTC router.

yes
jtonline
Grafter

Thanks.
Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

the modem won't connect to one of the ethernet ports but to a the WAN port which will still leave you with the 4 ethernet ports available.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jtonline
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.  From what I can gather, the router that Plusnet provides for FTTC has a modified firmware that creates a WAN port from one of it's ethernet ports.  I have more than four network devices anyway.  Just looking for confirmation that the switch I have seen would be the correct solution and not likely to give me any implementation headaches.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

@jtonline, you are correct - the Technicolor supplied by Plusnet uses one of its ethernet ports as a WAN port. Dvorak is correct in respect of most fibre modem compatible routers.
I'd be buying a gigabit switch though, for future-proofing reasons, and because your existing laptop/desktop/PS3 might benefit when they are talking to each other rather than the internet. Netgear's GS108 is not much more expensive than the FS108; there are cheaper gigabit switches available too.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: jtonline
(Getting Cat-5 cables back to the router isn't a problem).

For future proofing I'd be getting better than Cat-5 (definitely required if you go for a gig switch).
I have an issue with Netgear kit in the solid blue cases - if you drop them they damage the floor!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I've been using one of these for nearly a year with no problems.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: jtonline
Thanks for the reply.  From what I can gather, the router that Plusnet provides for FTTC has a modified firmware that creates a WAN port from one of it's ethernet ports. 

Quote from: AxeMurderer
Dvorak is correct in respect of most fibre modem compatible routers.

I got the Netgear router from PN for my fibre connection, forgot they'd switched to the T one..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jtonline
Grafter

Thanks for the replies everyone.  A gigabit switch and Cat-6 cabling is not something I had considered, but does seem a good idea for a degree of future proofing.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jelv
For future proofing I'd be getting better than Cat-5 (definitely required if you go for a gig switch).

Incorrect.  Wink
Well, being pedantic, correct in the sense that Cat5 IS inadequate if you can get it.  Cheesy
However it was superceded long ago by Cat5e which is perfectly fine for gigabit.
See: http://www.cat-5-cable-company.com/faq-cat5-v-cat5e.htm
Cat6 has no advantage (up to gigabit speeds) over Cat 5e other than it's bulkier, goes round corners less easily and is more difficult to terminate. If those features are important to you, go for it. Prices are pretty similar.  Cool