cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in Noise Margin

James
Grafter

Re: Increase in Noise Margin

We've no such plans or timescales currently.
However, if the trial is successful on 20C, I'd imagine there's be a good chance of it being tried on 21C also.
randpwar
Grafter

Well things are going from worse to worse  :(. I really don’t understand how a rock solid connection of 6mb+ can, without any intervention from me, suddenly drop to these figures below. The upstream figure is also worrying as it is half of what it should be. There appears to be drops in connection over most nights; I’ve re-booted occasionally in the morning in an attempt to bring the speed back up.
I would really appreciate some insight and advice
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 3574 5759 0 238 2874 00:41:06
LAN 10M/100M 6239 4115 0 2961 300 00:41:25
WLAN 11M/54M 0 0 0 0 0 00:41:15

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3872 kbps 224 kbps
Line Attenuation 47 db 14 db
Noise Margin 13 db 7 db

Rob
James
Grafter

Hi Rob,
the connection drops are probably the clue - they shouldn't be happening.
Have you tried swapping out your filters and ensuring that you're connecting directly to the master/test socket via a filter?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Actually, it's the stats that are the clue. The Noise margin on the US in the last set is bad as is the sync speed. The US attenuation figures are not consistent with the DS figures on any of the reported stats.
I'd start by having a thorough check for any audible line noise, if so get a fault reported to your line provider.
If it's not that, then possibilities are line-card or modem/router or filter fault. Try an alternative modem/router and filter asap, you don't want those problems present when you move to ADSL2+.
randpwar
Grafter

Many thanks for the replies guys.
Router is a matter of months old so I doubt the problems are there. I’m not great with filters and, well, just about any equipment  :-[, what does ‘master/test socket’ look like, to compare with my set up 
I’ll be honest, I still don’t really get it how a solid connection can go so wrong so quickly apparently with absolutely no equipment changes
Rob
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Here is a master socket with the lower part removed showing the test socket. It should be at the point where the BT line first enters your house
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The fact that the Router (or filter) is only a couple of months old doesn't mean it's not faulty I'm afraid. There have been incidents reported on these boards where both items have been faulty out of the box. If it's a 585v7 - in conjunction with the stats - it's a very strong contender IMHO. Unfortunately electronic components can fail at any time (heat being a common cause - make sure none of the vents are obstructed, especially underside ones - sitting on a carpet is often a problem) although with decent design & quality control early life failures should not be common.
Caution - when doing swapping/testing powerdown the modem-router and wait a few minutes before disconnecting the line/filter/master faceplate etc. This is to try and avoid the exchange DLM thinking you have an ongoing line problem or making an existing situation worse. I'd recommend you avoid doing this more than about 5 times in an hour and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.
randpwar
Grafter

Aah yes sorry, didn’t mean to mislead you. I did re-boot the router yesterday morning in the vain hope that the resultant regular connection drops from my previous policy of re-booting every day was being interpreted as a problem; given that I hadn’t re-booted for a while and had suffered no drop on connection then Hey Presto with a re-boot my sync speed would miraculously shoot upward 
Am I right in thinking that a solid connection like mine (see post below), and one that used to give me actual browsing speed of 5 to 5.5 mb, should return to it’s previous speeds or even increase as I’m now on ADSL2+? 

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,79278.msg645215.html#msg645215
randpwar
Grafter

Pleae ignore last reply. Meant to put it here  Embarrassed
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80312.16.html