Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase IP Profile

DJ1UK
Grafter

Increase IP Profile

Hi
I have been constantly getting speeds of 6 to 6.5Mbps until 2 days ago.
Running the BT Speedchecker it states my IP Profile is now 350kbps
I have disconnected my router for an hour this morning then restarted it.  Does this mean I have to wait 3 days before I can see any increase/improvement? and then I can raise a ticket with PlusNet.
Apart from trying a different router - which I may be able to do over the weekend (but that'll reset the 3 days).. is there anything else I can check.
Nothing has changed as far as I know.
Thanks, DJ.
22 REPLIES 22
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Increase IP Profile

Does this mean I have to wait 3 days before I can see any increase/improvement? and then I can raise a ticket with PlusNet.

I'd raise a ticket anyway, you'd be best off using the faults troubleshooter here as that will run you through some diagnostic fault checks: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
hope that helps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DJ1UK
Grafter

Thanks Adam,
I've started the fault troubleshooter (ticket 52503838).. but need to borrow a friends router or go and buy one to make sure its not the router, before I proceed to the next step.
Thanks for your help.
DJ
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

OK and thanks for the update. If it comes to buying a router I can arrange for us to send you one instead.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DJ1UK
Grafter

No change from yesterday...
Download speedachieved during the test was - 336 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50 Kbps-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7.2 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbp
Will wait until Monday (72 hours) then try a different router and see if that increases speeds
DJ
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

With your current sync speed the IP Profile should increase to 6000kbps with the change taking place within 2 days. Nothing there suggests any problem with the router.
David
DJ1UK
Grafter

Thanks.  Tried a new router today and it didn't increase.
Will wait until Tues/Weds and hope that speeds increase..
DJ
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The IP Profile reducing to 350kbps implies the router synced with the exchange at around 500kbps. I assume this would be when you noticed slowdowns (3 days ago). That implies lots of noise interference on your connection at that time. Have you any thoughts on what might have caused that? eg, did you notice any crackles on phone calls?
David
DJ1UK
Grafter

Yes, a couple of phone calls have been crackling last week... but phone calls seem to be ok now.
So there's no action I need to actively take... just leave everything connected for a few days and hopefully it'll sort itself out?
DJ
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Crackles on the phone line are bad news, but it's difficult for an engineer to trace the cause if they are intermittent. Had there been a period of heavy rain before the crackles were noticed?
I assume you are back with your own router now. Did your sync speed return to circa 7200kbps when that was connected again? Assuming it did no further action is needed, the IP Profile should automatically increase to 6000kbps within 3 days.
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see you've started raising a fault but if it still needs reporting you need to revisit http://faults.plus.net and complete the questions before it'll get to our faults team.
Going from the above though this does look like the sort of issue that might be caused by noise on the phone line, if you still get the same with just one wired handset in the master socket and everything else removed from the line then we'll need to raise a phone fault for you. If you could confirm either way we'll get the investigation started.
DJ1UK
Grafter

Thanks Matt,
I'm going to wait a few days to see if it fixes itself.
With testing the router etc, it has only been connected for just over a day at the moment, router stats below.  Next step will be to try the master socket.. which handily is on the outside of my house!
Will keep you updated and raise a fault if required towards the end of the week.
Regards, DJ
Uptime: 1 day, 5:05:18
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,128 / 7,200
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,136
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 152.28
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 22.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote) 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 88
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
DJ1UK
Grafter

Looks like its reset itself after 3 days. BT speedtester results below...
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.19 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600 Kbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7.07 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6 Mbps
PlusNet Profile says..
Current line speed:  1.25 Mb
Download is still low but hopefully this will improve over time.
Thanks for everyones help.
DJ.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi DJ1UK,
You'll be glad to know that the according to a diagnostic test that I've just performed the line shows as being on a 6mb IP profile so I've updated the profile on our side to match.
Adam.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DJ1UK
Grafter

All looked ok this morning and today, but tonight my internet connection disconnected itself only for a second or two.
I am now reconnected, but the router says uptime of only 18minutes or so.
IP profile has gone down to 750kbps.  Hopefully this will jump back up to 6 or 7MB within 4 hours.  Will wait and see.
Is there any way I can monitor my router for frequent disconnections. Its a TG585 v8 Software Release: 8.2.7.8 or any action I can take.
Thanks, DJ.