cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect FTTC Profile?

tinkythomas

Incorrect FTTC Profile?

Hi, I have read several threads from other members about their fibre profiles being set incorrectly. I'm concerned that maybe mine has also been set incorrectly? I was informed by the Openreach engineer that I would sync close to 76Mb. I have carried out numerous speed tests and the highest download speed I have achieved is around 41Mb but it's averaging around 33Mb. When I ordered, Plusnet estimated I would get 53/13Mb. I'm wondering if my profile has been set at 40/10Mb? The latest speed test carried out this evening is the highest I've achieved...

Any help would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Tucky83
Dabbler

Re: Incorrect FTTC Profile?

Me too... Angry
Capvermell
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: tinkythomas
Any help would be appreciated.

You can check what your Downstream and Upstream IP Profiles are on BT's systems by running a test at http://speedtester.bt.com/ and then selecting the option for more detailed output that also involves inputting your phone number.  You have to do all this using a wired connection to the router.
Only speed tests there can be treated seriously in terms of the maximums you are getting as result at www.speedtest.net can sometimes exceed those which should currently be possible according to your latest BT IP Profile setting.
If you are on a 40/10 product your Upstream IP Profile will probably be 10Mbps and if you are on 80/20 your Upstream IP Profile will probably be 20Mbps.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi tinkythomas,
I've had a look over you account and can see that your estimates are 53Mb/s, not to sure if I'm honest why the engineer advised about the 76Mb/s!?
Your profile is currently set correctly to receive this speed, Are you currently connecting wired or wireless?
@Tucky83
I'm currently looking into your's and will post on your thread later today when I get an update on it.
tinkythomas

Thanks for the reply. I'm connected to my lan wired using cat 5e cabling. I have checked the speed and profile at http://speedtester.bt.com and have attached the result. It does appear that the profile is correct albeit somewhat short of the estimate. I'm confused as to why the engineer advised that I would receive speeds close to 76Mb? I would be happy with the estimate of 53Mb but currently I'm 11Mb short of that. I'm debating actually if it's worth having the 76Mb package and whether I should opt for 38Mb? Seems silly to pay for speeds I'm never going to reach!
Regards,
Chris
dick:quote
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Chris,
I'd advise running through the checks at http://faults.plus.net and we can take a further look at your speeds.
The difference with the packages would be the usage allowance too.