Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent speed- low SNR high attenuation

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Inconsistent speed- low SNR high attenuation

Just looking at your posting IPs, the last time you posted on community from a Sky ip was 13/08/2014, 23:45
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Oh damn, I really should have put my glasses on looking at that small type, I didn't look at the others I was about to rush off Embarrassed thanks ejs
Still that's not an unreasonable rate.
Oh thanks for having a look Kelly, but that's really odd, how does this come about?  Did you see Chris Purvey's post at 1720?
Simonleeuk
Grafter

Post 31 IP address was. 146.90.124.125
Just an update on my connection still holding out really well. I really don't know what has happened all i've really done is swap the router back and forth but the connection is the best it's ever been, even on wifi it's holding up-stable connection above 4mb. I will be very happy if connection stays like this, I can actually stream youtube videos properly and even 720p is working it was virtually impossible before. I'm wondering whether it is the router overheating? Maybe giving the router few hrs break did it some good. In the past when internet was dropping it wasn't just wireless Ethernet connection was also painfully slow. I will certainly keep you guys updated on connection if anything changes.
I used to use inSSIDer a lot to adjust my channel when I lived in an apartment block where there used to be another 8 wifi connections however I'm in a detached house now where we are quite spaced apart and I don't seem to be picking up any other wifi signals. microfilter double filtering do I just plug one filter into the other then connect DECT phone?
In regards to the tracert to sky connection is this something I should worry about? could this be interfering with my connection to Plusnet? I check my bank account from time to time and can't say I remember seeing any further direct debits going to sky. If this is an issue do I speak to Plusnet or contact sky directly, presumably when Plusnet took over the line they would have told sky to disconnect?
Simonleeuk
Grafter

Oh I forgot to post earlier: System Running time: 1 day(s) 04:28:28
Also I have just checked router stats the total ES which you were referring to before has increased again to 939 don't know if this is significant? However connection still solid.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Calculating your mean time between errors value (MTBE), and calculating the uptime on the basis of 17ms per superframe:
For the first stats with 7997 ES -  MTBE: 106 seconds
For these latest stats with 939 ES - MTBE: 112 seconds
That's not great, but it's not too bad either, it's comparable to my own line. The DLM shouldn't intervene so long as the MTBE stays above 60 most of the time. That error rate shouldn't cause significant problems, but there may be some parts of the day when the error rate is higher than the average for the whole day, which would result in slower throughput and higher latency as packets lost due to the errors have to be re-sent.
Anotherone
Champion

Wouldn't disagree with that, as I said previously, DLM doesn't regard this as a problem at the moment or the Target SNRM would not have gone to 3dB. The primary problem would seem to have been the wireless connection, whilst it would still be a good idea to see if one can discover any causes of increased error rates on the  ADSL at particular times of day.
Simon, did you ever check if there was newer firmware for your TP-Link?
The IP address on post#31 was a Plusnet one, but note, as Kelly said, there was a Sky IP address before that. Obviously that needs to be looked at to discover how, why etc.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: Simonleeuk
I really don't know what has happened all i've really done is swap the router back and forth but the connection is the best it's ever been, even on wifi it's holding up-stable connection above 4mb.

Hi Simon,
It could be as simple as all of this plugging in and unplugging of equipment has cleaned the phone / filter socket contacts.  Crazy
Whatever it is good to see that things have improved.  I trust that you now understand the need to 'layer' your problem?  I'm still a bit disconcerted by the marked difference in reported line attenuation between the NetGear and TP modems.  That reported by the NetGear is more in keeping with the attained line speed.  There is another thread around here involving two TP modems reporting "silly" attenuations; makes me wonder if TP are using a different approach to calculating attenuation?
I hope that things remain stable for you - if there are issues, you know where we are.
Regards,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Kevin, remember that all manufacturers of modem(/router)s are not immune from having errors in their firmware which is why I'd asked Simon if he'd looked to see if there was any update for his. That said, and leaving aside the probable wireless issue, as the TP-Link seems to be performing extremely well on the connection, I wouldn't even worry about the actual figure being given. I would however want to try a known good pretty accurate modem/router just to discover what the more likely correct attenuation is.
As far as the wireless goes, it's possible that Simon may be on a different channel from that originally which may have solved the problem, whatever the cause.
To wrap up a couple of other queries, it's always possible the modem/router may be starting to play up, this may or may not be related to the apparently erroneous attenuation, so keep an eye on things, but do check for a firmware update.
The Sky issue, needs to be looked at a bit more. Was it LLU when you were with Sky or Just checked, no Sky LLU in your exchange. Did you MAC into Plusnet? In any event it would be BTw/OR's job when doing the transfer to remove the Sky service. Just worth checking so that we can be sure Plusnet checked the correct account, is your forum username associated with this broadband account, do you have any other Plusnet accounts?
Don't post details of usernames etc here. BTW there is FTTC in some areas from that exchange.
Are you still connected to the Test Socket? If when you go back to the faceplate, things start playing up again then possibly it may have got faulty, but try double filtering first as your rat's tail filter may be better quality than the faceplate (not often, but it might be).
Yes, to double filter you plug the 2nd filter into the first and then the DECT into the 2nd.The modem/router must always be plugged into the 1st (ie. the faceplate).
Simonleeuk
Grafter

Yeah I checked my tp link router is on latest firmware, the wireless channel has been fixed to channel 1 this whole time so odd how things have just suddenly improved. Didn't realise Wideopen exchange is FTTC enabled hopefully won't be too long that they run some cable to my end ;D.. I've have also gone and ordered an Asus n66u to eliminate any issues with WIFI but not only this I have been considering a new router for a while with printer/hard drive sharing/QOS and considering the price £90.55 Amazon thought might be a good time.
Got to say this has got to be one of the most helpful forums I have been apart of. Can I just thank every who else helped in this thread really appreciate everyone taking their time to help share their expertise and I have certainly learnt a lot in how to methodically work through and diagnose a network problem. I'm still not fully sure how the connection has become stable  Huh but following your directions its certainly done something, I will keep you guys posted if anything changes but for now pretty happy  Grin
Anotherone
Champion

Glad it's been of help.You haven't mentioned if you are still in the test socket, that could be useful to know.
As regards the Sky issue, we'll have to look into that a bit more and update you when there's something definite.
That old sagem you think you have bricked, if you've succeeded in turning it into a router instead of a modem/router does it respond in any way? Have you tried connecting to one of the other ports to see if you can get into it, tried the factory reset etc.?
You may also find this a useful read http://community.plus.net/library/networking/testing-network-faults/
Simonleeuk
Grafter

Yes I'm still in the test socket, I'm pretty sure there was a problem with the faceplate as this improved a lot once removed so will probably just leave it plugged in there for now. Sagem router is done for tried resetting and cannot access router to reflash. New asus router should be arriving today and will probably bridge to tp link router to take over wifi and see how it goes.
Anotherone
Champion

If things suddenly go bad from the moment you put the faceplate back then it's highly probable it's faulty.
Best of luck with that and the Asus then. Shame about the sagem, did you need a door stop  Cheesy