cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incompetent BT Engineers

Matin1
Dabbler

Incompetent BT Engineers

So I was supposed to have my fibre installed today. I had a engineer booked for the 1-6 time slot. The engineer never showed up, however, I called Plusnet and apparently the engineer 'did his work' and marked the job as complete. Apparently because I had fibre before with Sky, I guess he assumed that I had everything I needed. (Sky have their own hub with built in Fibre capiblility, so they dont use the BT Openreach modem and the faceplate only requires 1 socket). So now I took my last annual leave from work and now I am stuck with no internet because some silly BT Engineer didn't bother to pick up his phone and give me a quick call to ask me whether I needed the Open reach modem, etc.
Now what am I supposed to do? I am stuck with no BB and I cannot take any-more days off work. Can Plusnet get BT to deliver the faceplate and BT Openreach modem at another address and I can install it myself?
Really annoyed.
11 REPLIES 11
leader
Grafter

Re: Incompetent BT Engineers

Its such a common theme these days with OR & their contractors Sad
There is always loads of VDSL face plates &  openreach modems on that well know auction site if time off is a real issue.
{ Could always try and claim / seek a good will gesture  for a failed installation }
Matin1
Dabbler

I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a modem and faceplate because of some silly lazy fool.
I mean seriously, how hard is it to pick up the phone and call my mobile and say "Hello, I've installed your line, I noticed you have had fibre before, do you require the faceplate & BT Modem" - like really? IS THAT SO HARD?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Have you spoken constructively to anyone at PlusNet yet? If not the Feedback section might get you more attention than here....  Wink
leader
Grafter

Unfortunately Plusnet will not send openreach equipment.
It requires an Openreach appointment for an engineer to install their (openreach) equipment.

gtfc197
Dabbler

Had an Open reach engineer come to our house to check line while with BT. He came in the house, checked the new box on the wall, fiddled about with what looked like a mobile phone for about 10 mins, put faceplate back on box and said that all was ok and that there wouldn't be a charge. When I got my quarterly bill 3 months later there was a charge of £129.99 for engineers work.
I appealed against the bill and was told that the engineer had found a faulty connection from my Sky box and when he unplugged it the problem stopped.
"WRONG".
1. The Sky box has not been plugged into BT socket for at least 2 yrs because of an issue we had with Sky and online gaming.
2. The problem was never fixed, and they kept saying that they need to send out an engineer again to check for fault, and that I could be charged again.
BT accounts told me that they would look into the matter and that it could take up to 30 working days to sort out..
I rang them after 25 days because of not hearing anything, told it could take up to 30 working days.
Rang again after 29 days, told the same,
Rang again on 30 days, told that it wasn't end of day yet.
Day 31, they rang me to tell me that the bill was correct for "work done" and that I have to pay. Asked if I could see engineers report, told NO and that I couldn't appeal to anyone else.
Needless to say, I cancelled all my BT accounts.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@gtfc197 Did you actually pay the £129.99 and not get it back? If so the small claims court would be the way to go.
@Matin1 If you are forced to take a day's unpaid leave to have the installation completed have a read of http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights - you might find that useful.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gtfc197
Dabbler

Morning Jelv,
No, I haven't paid it yet, got a reminder yesterday because I cancelled the direct debit, but I am in the proccess of writing to them to demand a copy of engineers report within 10 days or I will take it that I don't owe the amount.
See what happens then.
Mick.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Matin1, I'm very sorry to hear that the engineer didn't attend the property to provide you with the BT modem.
I can see that an appointment has been booked for 05/04/2014 between 8AM and 1PM for you by our Faults team. If there's anything else we can help with don't hesitate to let us know.
BRABUS
Grafter

@ gtfc check out www.ceoemail.com. ;
This is useful for getting to the right place to make a complaint about companies.  I once complained about an OpenReach van abusing a disabled bay and then being rude when I politely questioned him about it one Sunday afternoon.  I was surprised when I got an appologetic e-mail from the CEO himself on the Sunday evening and not one of his complaints team.  It's well worth doing as you cut out all the levels of crap that are put their to try and stop you complaint  Cool
Matin1
Dabbler

So I finally got the fibre up and running on Saturday but I got set onto a wrong profile. I called up Plusnet on Saturday and the chap on the phone would only set me to a 50mbps profile. I know my line can handle 70 because I had it with Sky.
Can someone please put me on the correct 70 mbps profile - it's what I'm paying for!
Thanks.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What does the BT diagnostic speed test say for your IP Profile?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)