Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming phone call disconnects ADSL

KenA
Grafter

Incoming phone call disconnects ADSL

Hello
Around the middle of January, I became aware that almost every time the phone rang for an incoming call, my ADSL would disconnect.  The router log reported "LCP Down" followed by it coming up again and re-authenticating within about 30 seconds or so.
I originally suspected a new DECT phone set I'd got at Christmas, but once I disconnected that, the problem still happened.
I've swapped routers, filters, etc., and still having the problem.
I'm using the Netgear DG834G v3 router, and till now has been exceedingly reliable.  I use that one because it has an auto-VPN to another place where I need a VPN connection to.
Anyway, the router is in the master socket, and the problem happens even if there are no phone handsets plugged in.
I have the old-style BT socket, it's been there for decades.
Anyway, I discovered that I was migrated to 21CN on 14th January, and that's roughly the date problems started.
Is that the cause of the problem, and if so, what can be done?
My router stats and config are as follows:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2304 kbps 640 kbps
Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 5 db 10 db
Multiplexing method VC-BASED
VPI 0
VCI 38
DSL Mode Auto (multi-mode)
The downstream speed is marginally higher than before the upgrade, it was normally sitting around 2200 kbps, and my upload speed was previously 448 kbps.

Thanks
Ken
6 REPLIES 6
niko
Grafter

Re: Incoming phone call disconnects ADSL

hi mate
if your phone disconnects your adsl 1st thing try different filters (and make sure there on all extensions)
next try unplugging your phone and ring your land line with your mobile if it still cuts of your adsl its more than likely a hr fault
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If you are connected directly to the master socket with no other devices connected then it must be a line fault.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Or a filter or the modem cable...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You don't actually need a filter (other than to adapt to the modem plug) and if you have already tried another router I would guess you have also tried another cable?
adie:quote
MrT
Grafter

I had similar problems after being upgraded to 21CN and ADSL2. Capping my upload speed at 448Kbps solved the problem.
So, it might be worth asking PN to cap your upstream speed at 448Kbps. You can always change back to uncapped if the problem doesn't go away.
cpembo78
Dabbler

Give plusnet support a call im sure they will try to solve the problem - they are pretty good.  I had an identical problem with talktalk - needless to say they were not good!  Moved providers and problem was solved! - dont move in this case though plusnet will help you  Smiley