cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming emails have stopped.

God
Grafter

Incoming emails have stopped.

I am not receiving any incoming emails that are forwarded from my domains to plusnet.
The email address I use as default is peter@xxxxx.org.uk  this domain is set to forward all emails to my plusnet account.  My emails have stopped since about 9.00pm last night. No test messages sent today have arrived. The domain mail forwarding is by ukreg part of Fasthosts. They have checked the forwarding is working by pointing it temporarily at another address.
So the mails are getting forwarded to plusnet, they have not received any bounce notifications. Are they queued at plusnet, deleted or what? Is this part of the dynamic IP address problem that seems to be going on?
Help / info please?
How long will this take to sort out, should I pointing my domain to a non plusnet account to stop (if I am) losing emails?
36 REPLIES 36
God
Grafter

Re: Incoming emails have stopped.

I have set my external domain catchall address to my gmail account and these are now arriving in my plusnet box. It seems that plusnet is rejecting mail from the fasthosts system.
God
Grafter

Quote from: PJ

Alternatively you could join the growing crowd who are giving up on PlusNet e-mail altogether and running their own mail servers.

I think that is overkill for me as I am a domestic user. I have to say my plusnet mail has always been very reliable, it is sod's-law that they upgrade it and it stops working properly!
fulbourn
Grafter

I'm in the same situation - as recorded elsewhere.
No e-mail for several days.
I have a domain name (terry@xxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk) that is hosted by serve360.com.  I thought they simply directed my mail to my Free-Online (Plusnet) address and then I picked it up through Outlook Express.
Worked fine.  Now, it doesn't work at all!

Moderators Note by Roger (rogerloxton): Removed full domain name for privacy purposes
God
Grafter

UPDATE:
Some of the test emails have started limping in, looks like someone put the plug back in the wall socket  Shocked
That cleaner needs to be more careful with the vacuum cleaner!
Be3G
Grafter

Yes, I'm still waiting for an e-mail that was sent to me yesterday too...
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I presume this is the ongoing 'rejection of emails from dynamic IPs' saga
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
fulbourn
Grafter

have visited the website of domainname.com who hold my domain name.
I added to the list of forwarding addresses my full e-mail address with free-online (fred@fredbloggs.co.uk)
I then went to Outlook Express and sent an e-mail to myself using that address.
The e-mail arrived.
However, if I send an e-mail using my domain address (as all my friends, colleagues and business associates do) - no e-mails at all arrive, junk or otherwise.
What is causing this problem, please?
mhi
Grafter

Like many others, I have most of my e-mail sent to a forwarding address (run by CamNet, which was a community ISP once but is now a bit of a relic). Since about Thursday night, messages sent to me by this address have not been arriving. A PlusNet Question (22915399) and a CamNet equivalent later, and I think I know what has happened.
PlusNet's new version of DNS and Reverse DNS checking for incoming messages (http://community.plus.net/comms/2007/09/11/upcoming-email-platform-changes/) is bouncing everything which arrives via CamNet. CamNet's mail server is in a hosted environment which does not offer predictable Reverse DNS, apparently. The DNS checks introduced last week are not supposed to have started rejecting anything which was not already rejected, but since my address has been working for years, it is apparent that isn't entirely true.
With the information I eventually got (any bounce messages are going to other people, not to me), I have sent a message to abuse@plus.net asking for CamNet's mail server to be whitelisted.
If you're in the same bind as me, I think the procedure is (a) raise a PlusNet Question, (b) try to harvest a bounce message, (c) ask your forwarding address support people for advice, (d) send your forwarding address somewhere else for the time being, (e) send email to abuse@... to ask for whitelisting, (f) wait and hope it works.
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: mhi
The DNS checks introduced last week are not supposed to have started rejecting anything which was not already rejected, but since my address has been working for years, it is apparent that isn't entirely true.

Just out of morbid curiosity, who said that ?  because I can also confirm beyond any doubt whatsoever that it is blatantly not true.  Messages from organisations and addresses I have been receiving stuff for anything up to 10 years from are now being deleted/rejected/whatevered as a direct result of the recent changes despite NO CHANGES whatsoever by anyone else concerned.  And it's not just rDNS issues or allegedly dynamic IPs but other DNS configuration 'errors' as well.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
mhi
Grafter

Quote from: mikeb
Quote from: mhi
The DNS checks introduced last week are not supposed to have started rejecting anything which was not already rejected,...

Just out of morbid curiosity, who said that ?

That was my paraphrase of the bit in Mand's blog entry, "We currently reject mail from senders with no reverse DNS, we will be changing this so that less [she meant "fewer"] DNS queries are required,..." and Bob Pullen's service status announcement announcing "Improving the blocking of hosts without reverse DNS entries."
James
Grafter

Hi all,
I'll flag this thread for Bob's attention and he'll pop in shortly.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

That was my paraphrase of the bit in Mand's blog entry, "We currently reject mail from senders with no reverse DNS, we will be changing this so that less [she meant "fewer"] DNS queries are required,..." and Bob Pullen's service status announcement announcing "Improving the blocking of hosts without reverse DNS entries."

This doesn't mean that we're not supposed to be rejecting mail that wasn't already being rejected. That would evade the point of the exercise.
Regarding the hosting company's IPs that are being rejected, if this is still affecting you then set your domain forwarding to a third party address, send an email to your domain and then email a copy of the message complete with full headers to abuse@plus.net. From this we can determine the IP address of the sending MTA and whitelist it accordingly. Explain a little about the problem or link to this post in the email to abuse so it's clear why your sending an email that wasn't delivered using our servers.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

fulbourn
Grafter

I have now been able to contact serve360.com who host my domain name.
They inform me that they DO use a static IP address - they ONLY use static IP addresses.  As far as they are concerned, they are forwarding all my e-mail and it is free-online who are preventing me from receiving it.
As far as they are concerned, the fault lies with free-online. 
I had no problems until FOL altered whatever it is they have altered and this is causing me much distress.
How can FOL sort this out for me?  I have received no e-mails since last Thursday.  If they are unable to sort this out to whom can I turn?
God
Grafter

Just for folks info, my mails are now getting through from ukreg/fasthosts.