cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate and changing geolocation

mmben
Dabbler

Inaccurate and changing geolocation

I changed to Fibre BB last week.  Not sure if this is a quirk of FTTC broadband, but have been up and running for 5 days now - getting speeds of 65 down and 16 up which is great.  I am getting the occasional dropout which is understandable as I would still be in the profiling period.  Twice now I have been flagged up on facebook as logging on from an unfamiliar location, and had to pass additional security, and have noticed that the IP addresses that I have been given are way off the mark and are reporting various locations about 150-200 miles away from me!
This is odd because on ADSL my location was always correct within 10 miles.  Is this just a quirk of fibre broadband or is there some way around it?
5 REPLIES 5
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Inaccurate and changing geolocation

Hi - I think the reason is because you have a dynamic IP address. If you want to change to a static one there's a £5 one off charge & you can apply via the Member Centre - https://portal.plus.net/AddOns.html
mmben
Dabbler

Yes I did suspect that could be a way to solve it, it is just I had a dynamic IP address with my last provider and this was not too far off the mark location wise.  Maybe fibre broadband has less take up at the moment so the pool of IP addresses are a bit fragmented.  Not a major issue, it is not plusnet's fault that facebook are OTT security wise, I mean people do travel around sometimes!
AndyH
Grafter

What location did FB say you were accessing from? It should be London (I think).
mmben
Dabbler

Facebook doesn't say where, but looking at various locator websites, I can be anywhere from London to Sheffield to Northampton - most of the time I am near London (which is 200 miles South East of where I am!).  As I said it isn't an issue so long as I don't get other problems like bank and credit card accounts not liking my location details when I log on to them.  Once my connection settles down then I would imagine that I will stay put wherever plusnet put me for a while  Grin
shalom2010
Grafter

I've not had any issues with any websites including Facebook with a dynamic I.P. - having said that my current assigned I.P. is in the City of London & I'm in Chigwell. The I.P. address has stayed the same for around 14 days so far.