cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In all the thousands of posts in this forum....

FIXED
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

In all the thousands of posts in this forum....

I'm sure this has been asked before:

Why, does Win 10 (latest update) settings report "no broadband connection"

The 2.8 and 5G connections "seem" to  be working Ok, at least their activity led's are flickering rapidly.

The router is: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 wi-fi vdsl/adsl model D7000.

Needless to say the phone line is connected both ends. VPN is not set up.

Speed test is 15.84Mbps.

I realise there are faster ways. But my current speeds are quite adequate for my modest needs (I'm not a game player).

Or do I actually have a problem?, at the back of my mind is that I am paying PN for a broadband/phone package (and have been for a long time) that Windows doesn't seem to think I'm getting. Or am I seeing a problem that doesn't exist?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: In all the thousands of posts in this forum....

It MAY be this bug in Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/windows-10-says-i-have-no-in...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

petlew
Pro

Thank's MisterW.

Not sure if that's the same thing, as it refers to reported "no internet". Not a problem I'm having, both 2.8 and 5G both report "Internet access".

My issue (if I actually have one) is report of "no broadband connection".

I quite recently changed to a one gigabit ethernet connection (Windows reports this working well), but it has made no difference - in truth I didn't expect it to -. 

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

My issue (if I actually have one) is report of "no broadband connection".

So where is that being reported ? I wouldn't have thought windows was even aware of your actual broadband connection, that down to the router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

petlew
Pro

I have two laptops in use; a Win 10, and a Macbook Air (currently latest update). Both ethernet to the modem. The Mac settings don't report on the broadband at all.

petlew
Pro

The message can be found in the internet connection icon in the Taskbar. It tells me "no broadband connection".

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Both ethernet to the modem.

That's whats confusing, if Windows has an ethernet connection , then how does it know anything about a 'broadband connection' ? All it knows is that it has a network connection and can determine whether it can get internet access via it.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

The message can be found in the internet connection icon in the Taskbar. It tells me "no broadband connection".

Aah! did you ever have the laptop configured for a direct broadband connection either via dial-up or pppoe to a modem ? iF so then maybe that connection still exists and it reporting that it cant connect any more, despite the fat that it is no longer being used

petlew
Pro

I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm wondering why the broadband status is reported on at all in the Taskbar icon.

petlew
Pro

To the previous reply but one. Not on this Laptop. Its many, many years since I last used a dial-up modem. But I see your point, I was with PN at that time though. It would have to have been picked it via two desk-tops and a home build, and three previous lap-tops, numerous other internet connected devices, is that likely?

petlew
Pro

MisterW, I'm going to put this down to "unexplained but not significant" But give you a green tick for your efforts.

Many thank's

petlew
Pro

Ooop's I've given myself a green tick, sorry.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Fix moved Smiley 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'