Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improved speeds after SamKnows box locked

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Improved speeds after SamKnows box locked

I have one of the SamKnows performance monitoring router boxes from which I've picked something up. If you look at the attached image you will see the three graphs show a noticeable improvement occurred yesterday.
Yesterday afternoon I lost all broadband connectivity, I also was unable to access my router. I could however access other PC's on my network. I rebooted my router and still couldn't access the router. I then tried plugging my PC's cable in to my router instead of the SamKnows router and found that worked, so I rebooted the SamKnows router, put everything back to normal and all is well.
Today I looked at the dashboard and saw the improvements. It seems there are two possibilities: rebooting the routers has made a difference or by rebooting my router I've ended up on a different gateway and the new one is better than the one I was on previously. I'm currently on ptn-ag02 but I don't know which I was on previously.
Has anyone else running one of these boxes seen anything similar?
Has anyone got a little application which will automatically keep a log of which gateway I'm connected to (perhaps record it once an hour).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Improved speeds after SamKnows box locked

Yes
I did a gateway hop from PCL AG01 to PCL AG03 on the 26th
grahamt
Rising Star

What do you do to hop between gateways? Just reset the ADSL line and hope you get attached to another gateway, or is there something else you can do?
Graham
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

use disconnect and reconnect in the router - don't do a resync
This is what it looks like on my Netgear
pierre_pierre
Grafter

And this is the Thompson one 192.169.1.254
carrot63
Grafter

Could the reboot have flushed the router(s) DNS cache?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

probably, but I didnt reboot, just disconnect and reconnect - post two for effect
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Mine wasn't a DNS issue - I couldn't ping my own router - it was definitely the SamKnows router that stopped forwarding traffic (there's no DNS that I'm aware of in the SamKnows box).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks for the info on disconnecting to do a gateway hop. I don't think I have that facility in my ancient ZyXEL P660HW-61 - certainly not in the web interface. The nearest thing I can see is 'Reset ADSL Line' (in 'Diagnostics'), and I'm pretty sure that does a resync.
There may be a ZyNOS command that can be entered via the telnet interface. (Following a quick look) Hmm. Not sure. Possible candidates include:
wan adsl close | open (but I'd have to find good docs to see if that causes a resync - looks like it might)
wan node disable | enable (sounds a bit drastic)
Can't say at the moment if either of those (or any other command) corresponds to 'disconnect' on the Netgears and Thomsons. So I'll assume I can't do it. It's no great hardship.
Graham