cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I can't grt faster than this then I'm off - after 6 years!

basils57
Dabbler

If I can't grt faster than this then I'm off - after 6 years!

I am currently getting a max speed of 1899 kbps (237kB/s) down & 375 kbps (46.9kB/s) up.
This has been more or less consistent over the last week that I have checked daily.
The last time I checked - some  months back I was getting about 3000kbps regularly, and whilst nothing to get excited about was just about bearable.
My current rate is not.
I am on PlusNet Broadband Plus up to 8Mb, and if I can't improve this, then reluctantly I will have to change provider, which is a pity after 6 years with Plusnet.
Currently the BT Speedtester will not evaluate my line - it says that there is an incompatibility between phone no & log in information.
Can anyone give me any hope?
18 REPLIES 18
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: If I can't grt faster than this then I'm off - after 6 years!

Please can you post your Router stats, including downstream sync, attenuation and SNR (Noise) Margin.
B.
godsell4
Rising Star

And do a test on www.speedtester.bt.com and post the results here if you would ...
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Thanks for your time just now.
As I mentioned on the call, you have a downstream attenuation of 63dB, which is a considerable distance from the exchange, which is giving you a profiled speed of 2000Kbps.  Looking at the reports that we've received for your line over the last few months, the profiled speed has been fluctuating from 2000-3000Kbps.
I really don't expect you to see any real improvement by changing ISP, unless you move to cable and I've heard of a lot of poor exoperiences using cable companies from friends, family members and other members of staff here.
basils57
Dabbler

Thanks for the info folks. Barry, being somewhat ignorant on these matters, where do I get this info from please?
Also godsell4, as I said in the initial posting I can't get the speedtester to work - it will not evaluate my line - it says that there is an incompatibility between phone no & log in information.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

From memory the BT Speedtester asks for your username, which I think is username@plusdsl.net (if you are on one of the Plusnet packages.  There are others for f9, free online and metronet, but I'm sure someone else could give you these if you need them).  If you miss the end bit off I think it may give you a message like that.  Not 100%, but may be worth a check.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Not applicable

You often get that message even if you enter the correct details - its just an indication that the speedtester is too busy, and it timed out checking your details in its database.
Only thing to do is keep trying (assuming that you were already entering the correct details.)
godsell4
Rising Star

Yep. Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

How to get router stats depends on the make/model of router you have. The 'frogstats' page on Kitz's website provides instructions for a large number of routers.
David
techguy
Grafter

I would second what James says about nothing getting better by changing ISP
(I don't work for any ISP and have a line attenuation 58 dB so 2 meg is the most I get before it starts to wobble, bugger all I can do about it, its due to a crap local loop being mostly aluminium)
I also know quite a few folks that have suffered at the hands of the cable mob (DNS servers that don't work, weeks of downtime) so I really wouldn't go there.
in the UK you got cable and you got ADSL or if you are really rich in a city  perhaps a fibre connection.
If the attenuation has risen then this is likely due to something that BT has done, perhaps ask PN support to chase this with BT.
chickendippers
Grafter

Quote from: techguy
I also know quite a few folks that have suffered at the hands of the cable mob (DNS servers that don't work, weeks of downtime) so I really wouldn't go there.

Cable's not that bad; when we lived in a cabled area we had aprox. 10 years of near faultless service receiving the advertised headline speed. IIRC there was one long DNS outage a few years back (less than a day) but it wasn't a huge bother.
But to reiterate the points others have made about changing ADSL provider; it won't help your speed. After all the signal comes down exactly the same phone line.
techguy
Grafter

fibre to the cabinet/Ethernet to the home  would be better.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: basils57
Can anyone give me any hope?

Given the other comments/information I can offer little hope but something to check that may be a factor.
Internal wiring can often cause problems and is easily damaged/degraded.
To check whether this is the case can you connect to the BT Test Socket, restart your router and post the stats as requested/explained earlier.
basils57
Dabbler

Suddenly for the last 4 days my speed has increased to about 2350 kbps - some 20% increace.
Why would that be, I wonder when PlusNet  are advising me that 2000kbps is probably the max that I will be able to get?
Not applicable

Looks like you are thinking that something has been 'tweaked'. However, as you probably already know, speed is never a fixed entity.
Mine has always been good but recently my neighbour (and referral) had been having problems with noise and drop-outs. BT came out and sorted it but in the process the underground junction box (which my line also goes into) was found to be very dirty. The ensuing clean-out has increased my speed by about 10-20%.
Pleased that it is better.