cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idle Timeout / Disconnections

tomxlisa
Grafter

Idle Timeout / Disconnections

Have been getting disconnections for some time now, but the last 20mins or so my internet has been dropping out every 2mins or so, just spoke to technical support and they are gonna open a fault, and have asked me to do several things to test this end, i have a feeling it might be the plusnet router causing the problems, i keep getting a error message in the router saying the disconnection was because the idle timeout was reached, anyone have a clue what that means or how to resolve it?.
22 REPLIES 22
x47c
Grafter

Re: Idle Timeout

Well the idle time out setting on the router' setup page should be set to 0 (that's zero)
The other settings as I recall to check are VPI set at 0 and VCI set at 38
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you used the Help and Support (link at the top RHS of the Main Plusnet Site) and entered Idle Timeout in the search box in the LH colum and selected the first result from the page, you'd end up here  Roll_eyes
tomxlisa
Grafter

Thing is, i still seem to be getting this idle timeout problem, and i am not on one of those accounts, i cant see it being a problem with my line, as my line was rock solid when i was using sky broadband, is there a setting in the plusnet router to change the idle timeout, so i can check this?.
Anotherone
Champion

I'm, sure I've provided this link before. Select Hardware, choose your modem/router, find out how to log into it and move around the various sections.
If you can't find the information displayed or it's displaying the incorrect value and you need to change it you may need to Telnet into the modem/router, but that is starting to get very technical and it doesn't sound to me as though that is something you should be messing in with your technical ability.
Did you make it clear to faults about this idle timeout message? If not, I'd go to the Ticket, add that information and then ring up and ask for some guidance.
Edit: Just to be clear, apart from the error messages, your Broadband light is solid Green, but your Internet light goes Red or Off?
tomxlisa
Grafter

Yeah i made it clear about the idle timeout error message, and i am not too sure if the lights are solid or not, i just know that in the router the DSL and internet drops out, i do know how to telnet, so i will look to see if there is a way of checking the idle timeout in the router and if it isn't correct then i will have a go at changing it, i just cant see it being this, hopefully it is though, i think it may have something to do with the router, i am gonna try get my other router working with plusnet tonight and see if that makes things better, as my line was rock solid with my previous isp and router. Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

Well, if you really think you are that confident try wiki.aa.org.uk/images/3/33/TG582n_CLI_Guide_v1.0_public.pdf  in your address bar.
tomxlisa
Grafter

Cant seem to find the idle timeout setting in the router, but the disconnections continue, i have done what plusnet asked and removed everything from the line, in my case it was just the sky box, the router is plugged in the test socket now, and i have also changed the filter, and i am still getting disconnects, normally what happens is in the router (the plusnet one) i see the DSL and Internet go down, i am not sure if the lights on the router go off as when it happens it normally connects back up before i can get to the router to check, for some reason i have a feeling it is the router causing these problems, maybe something to do with this idle timeout setting, but surely by default it would be set for the router to not disconnect, so i am confused to why this is happening, on my old llu connection before i migrated to plusnet, the connection was rock solid. Roll_eyes
scream
Dabbler

Re: Idle Timeout / Disconnections

Sky would have used different equipment to what you will be on now, so the fault could still be a problem with the line or exchange equipment.
It certainly worth a try using a different router, just to rule out the one you are using causing the problem. If you still have your old Sky router though, you won't be able to use this with Plusnet.
Apart from that the only other thing you can do is raise a fault for the disconnections if you cannot fix it with changing the filters, router, unplugging everything and your in the test socket...you can raise a fault here though - https://faults.plus.net
Smiley
tomxlisa
Grafter

Yeah, the only other thing that would be good to try is another router, but the only one i have is the sky router, i have already raised a fault with plusnet, so i will see what they say next.
Thanks.
tomxlisa
Grafter

Edit: Just to be clear, apart from the error messages, your Broadband light is solid Green, but your Internet light goes Red or Off?

I have just been disconnected again, and this time had enough time to go and look at the router, the (broadband) light was blinking, and the (internet) light was off, this lasted for about a minute before the (broadband) light was solid again and the (internet) light come on again.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: scream
If you still have your old Sky router though, you won't be able to use this with Plusnet.

That is not necessarily true, although many Sky routers are 'locked' to the Sky configuration, some can be 'unlocked' so that they can be used with any ISP.
For example, the last three routers I bought from eBay were Sky 'locked' DG834GT models, which I flashed with either the Netgear or DGTeam firmware, and are now all being used successfully on Plusnet connections by friends and family.
tomxlisa
Grafter

The one i've got though, the sagemcom 2504n, cant be unlocked, which is a shame cause i could have tested it on my line.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[Deleted]
ffox
Pro

Many years ago ADSL24 recommended the Speedtouch 586 router.  It soon became obvious that there was an Idle Timeout problem with one firmware version, even if Idle Timeout was set to 0 in the GUI.  The solution at the time was to go back to earlier firmware.
https://adsl24.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2320
This sounds similar.  What router are you using?