Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISPs, File Sharing, P2P, UK Law and all that Jazz - A Follow Up

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: ISPs, File Sharing, P2P, UK Law and all that Jazz - A Follow Up

I'm thinking of patronising a minstrel

I don't think minstrels respond well to condescension.
getting him to sing down my router

Ah well then... I suppose if he's allowed to condescend to your router in turn that'll afford him some kind of outlet. You might have to let him sing 'Killing in the Name' occasionally if tunefully badmouthing your ADSL hardware doesn't chill him out enough though.
Back on topic (sorry)... I think this depends on a lot of things really. I can't imagine the majority of people paying for an on demand streaming service when there's so many free radio stations about, and things like pandora and last.fm that give you an approximation of your chosen artist/song.
I can see paid for downloads of music albums (at decent - preferably lossless - quality, with a PDF or high resolution image of the inlay for if you wish to burn it to CD or whatever properly) working though, but I've not heard of anywhere offering a service like that. In addition it'd have to bear a drop in cost, as distributing electronic recordings means that it is entirely unnecessary to spend any money whatsoever on manufacturing and a great deal less on distribution. This is the reason I don't buy eBooks - they're the same price as regular books, but they haven't been printed and haven't cost the publishers anything in freight costs. I'd love to hear the justification for the lack of price difference.
If such a music service does spring into being, I'd consider it seriously. We'll see.
Funktastic
Dabbler

I wouldn't be interested in anything that entails my ISP climbing into bed with the Music Industry. YouTube is usually good enough for me.
geewizz
Grafter

This thread sparked off a discussion amongst some musicians last night. We came to the conclusion that one of the quickest fixes for the problems associated with the downloading revolution is to apply a surcharge on media players. That would include software players, portable players (i-pods, generic mp3 players), radios, & televisions.  It's an echo of the past when blank cassettes were sold with a charge which was channeled back to PRS and PPL.
We all agreed that any repeat subscription service would be difficult to market. Another popular agreement was that the rarity of high bit rate files was the reason none of us purchase music online.
thehatman
Grafter

Only interested in high bit rate MP3, strictly no DRM.
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Tesco have relaunched their digital service by adding MP3 to the 3Million WMADRM songs they have, there isn't that many mainstream MP3 song yet but the list does seem to be growing daily! Seems to be a good service and all songs are 79p!
http://www.tescodigital.com if anyone's interested
LordFox
Rising Star

Quote from: dave
Last music I bought was on vinyl and I expect the next will be too (although I have a fiver to spend at iTunes and have done for about about 3 months). I just prefer the sound of a record, digital, especially compressed digital just isn't the same. It's OK for listening to in the car but at home my records will always win out.

Similar feelings here, although I don't own my Sondek LP12 any more as my listening habits have changed from 'sit down, relax, put on some good music' to 'put something on for background while I work'.
I can easily tell the difference between, say, 128Kbps MP3 and an ogg at 384. I store everything lossless (flac) for backup but keep them on my AV server as quality-9 ogg files. I find that I can't really hear the difference most of the time between that and the flac/CD any more (too many loud bangs, and just plain old)
That's why I don't pay to download music - it just isn't available at a high enough quality. Even the actual CD's barely make it for me really...
If someone starts selling studio-quality 24-bit uncompressed stuff, then I might be interested... but I'm not paying for low bitrate rubbish.
kmilburn
Grafter

This thread sparked off a discussion amongst some musicians last night. We came to the conclusion that one of the quickest fixes for the problems associated with the downloading revolution is to apply a surcharge on media players.

Some countries already apply surcharges to recordable media,  this started life as VCR and cassette  tapes, but then moved onto CDs, and DVDs,  and some (Canada for one, and the EU IIRC) want to extend it hard disks and flash cards.  It's great when you a business that uses thousands of CDs and have to pay a surcharge for pirating music when all you storing is your own data  Roll_eyes  Oh,  and it hasn't fixed a thing! 

Also,  what do you class as a 'Media Player', between politicians and lobbyists,  by the time it made it through to legislation it'll be practically anything with a CPU in it, computers, dvd players, games consoles, mobile phones, washing machines?? .
Some people have also proposed adding a surcharge on internet connections too,  and the only people that would benefit is the like of the BPI, RIAA, etc.
If they were to get that through, I would actually start downloading music over P2P (which I don't currently),  after all,  if I'm paying for it,  I may as well do it!