zubel
Community Veteran

Re: ISP Traffic Spying

*ahem*
On topic please guys and gals.
B.
ddleigh

There is nothing paranoid or unlawful about wanting to keep one's private activities private and out of the reach those who would misuse them. It's a right that everyone should automatically have and that no-one should have the ability to take away from someone without their consent.
I've always felt that the statement "if you are doing nothing wrong, then you have nothing to worry about" is just a lame excuse that authorities use to allow them to continue to abuse those they are meant to be serving.
This is potentially a very serious breach of people's privacy that must be stopped or at least addressed by privacy or human rights laws to prevent the details that are being collected from being abused by those unscrupulous elements who would do so without a moments thought.
Debbie
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Yes. Smiley
geewizz
Grafter

If it gets really bad we can just build another internet and start again.
oliverb
Grafter

Quote from: Heloman
Whilst agreeing with your sentiments, I can't see any company ruling out in their T's & C's a source of income that has not  been shown to be illegal. It would not make business sense to do so.
Ethically I hope PN stick to their present position, but a lot will depend upon the outcome of the current debate...

Surely the point is that it would make business sense if the alternative was causing sufficient customer unease. As it stands Plusnet have stated that they are not working with Phorm, so no extra income, but since they are part of BT they may still be subject to the negative publicity from being indirectly linked to the trials.
What is put in T & C now could be changed in future if market conditions shift sufficiently, so a T & C change is not permanant and about the only credible action that could be taken.
I don't expect a PN executive to state that they will never adopt the technology, never is a long time in business.
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: ddleigh
There is nothing paranoid or unlawful about wanting to keep one's private activities private and out of the reach those who would misuse them. It's a right that everyone should automatically have and that no-one should have the ability to take away from someone without their consent.
Debbie

I have no argument about those sentiments, but wouldn't making Phorm "opt-in" solve the problem?
And I wonder how many people complaining about this can honestly say they have  never used Google ?
Google also reads and save your "activities" to enable its targeted adverts.....
ddleigh

Hi Heloman,
Yes, I do agree that it should be opt-in, not opt-out, but I guess that that will have to be forced on them, because I don't think they will voluntarily change it on their own.
I wonder how many people actually realise that Google does that, which I think is the root of the problem - those who would take our private data and use it for their own profit, don't tell us they are doing so and give us no practical way to opt-out.
Debbie
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Google may track our search history using Google, just as The Guardian tracks our browsing of their pages using Doubleclick etc. This may be unwelcome, but isn't it a lot less serious than getting our ISP to log and provide info on ALL our browsing?
Neil_A
Grafter

This is proving to be a pretty interesting thread to say the least Smiley
I wonder if everyone in this thread has seen the article I posted last week?
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/05/02/should-your-isp-monitor-your-connection/
To clarify what we currently do, is use Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) to tell what application you are using. By application what I mean is what protocol - i.e. VoIP, gaming, streaming, email, P2P etc. What we certainly can't tell is what website you are looking at, what your emails say, what you are downloading on P2P or who you are talking to on Skype. Tracking the type of application allows us to prioritise time-sensitive applications so customers get the best quality of service possible for the price they have paid. The only time we would ever track more than this is where we receive a proper request warrant from the Police or Government to do so.
The point of the blog I wrote was to ask about whether online safety / security tools are of interest. For example blocking known trojans, scanning for compromised computers or offering parental control tools to restrict access to unwanted websites. We're certainly not proposing any sort of global user-tracking for the purpose of targeted advertising. We've already stated categorically that we have not trialled Phorm (or anything similar) and have no plans to do so.
So we're not talking about spying on customers. We're talking about offering opt-in, paid-for services that make customers safer and more secure. Ian has recently announced a trial of one such service using a company called Aladdin which you can read about here:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/05/02/plusnet-launch-network-security-trial/
Heloman
Grafter

A very interesting post Neil. Thank you..
Sadly I was unaware of both your article and the trial of Aladdin. Was the trial advertised anywhere other than on the portal's trials page, which I guess most of us don't often visit?
I'm totally happy about the many assurances we have had from PN about Phorm, but I guess the BT association makes a lot of people nervous....
Aladdin sounds quite a promising idea, and could well prove to be a winner - though presumably it will have to come at a price!
I'm off to do more research about it.
But as a Linux user, and with children in their forties, it probably wouldn't be much value to me  Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Heloman
Sadly I was unaware of both your article and the trial of Aladdin. Was the trial advertised anywhere other than on the portal's trials page, which I guess most of us don't often visit?

There's mention in the newsletter that's due to be sent over the next day or two.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Heloman
Grafter

Yep! Just arrived today.
Thanks Bob.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Neil_A
This is proving to be a pretty interesting thread to say the least Smiley
The only time we would ever track more than this is where we receive a proper request warrant from the Police or Government to do so.

Government strange one here
your doctor can ask
your local council can ask
The enviornment agency can ask
Your Local health authority can ask
The CSA can ask
HMRC can ask
TV Licensing can ask
British Gas can ask
Power company can ask
all come under
RIPA regulation of investigatory powers act 2004= snooper's charter=spy act to you and me

puddy
Heloman
Grafter

Nope. I don't believe that's true, puddy. RIPA says:
"The law permits interception of communications by law enforcement and intelligence agencies in tightly controlled circumstances in the interests of national security, preventing or detecting serious crime or safeguarding the economic well-being of the UK."
and:
"Who can use interception?
Intelligence services, the police and other law enforcement agencies such as HM Revenue & Customs can use interception if they have a warrant signed by the Secretary of State."
http://security.homeoffice.gov.uk/ripa/interception/
So basically Neil was correct. Police or Government (Intelligence Services).
IANAL but I don't believe any others on your list can seek such approval...