cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPsec VPN from my old force9 BB option

worto03

IPsec VPN from my old force9 BB option

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if I should be able to run an IPsec VPN tunnel from my home router to my work from my old force 9 BB tarif it's a £14.99 a month one but could do with someone on support telling me which one as they are not published any more.
If there is nothing ISP wise blocking it then I'll have a look at my router config, I'm not even showing up on the logs as trying to login at works end so it's defo something my end.
This is not needed all the time but is useful when I'm oncall.
Cheers,
worto.
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: IPsec VPN from my old force9 BB option

Looking at your account the cause is likely to be the Broadband Firewall on your account, this is currently set to high. Try setting this to low or off and then reboot your modem/router.
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Hi worto
Which £14.99 account is it?  I don't know much about the f9 accounts, but I know the PlusNet ones.  There used to be Broadband Plus at £14.99, which I don't think would support VPN well off the top of my head.  If you're on that I'd recommend upgrading to BBYW Option 2 which is the same price, but with more bandwidth and less restrictions.  The other £14.99 package was the PAYG one which should support VPN very well.  
If you go to My Account on the portal, it should tell you what package your on next to "Service", towards the bottom of the page.
Phil
edit: my mistake.  VPN isn't resticted on BB Plus, but if you are on one of those I'd still reccomend upgrading.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

worto03

Hi,
Thanks to both of you for the quick answers, I'll try changing the firewall setting when I get home & retest - I have a firewall setting on the router & didn't realise there was one in my account settings too.
About the package I'm on it says :-
Force9 Broadband Plus up to 8Mb (Annual Contract, Activation and Modem Offer)
The reason I wanted to keep it was because of the offpeak times which are from 00:00-16:00 where my usage is unlimited this was I just web browse during the day and schedule any large downloads overnight. All of The newer policies I have seen had smaller off peak times. I've not checked for a while though so maybe I need to recheck that.
Thanks,
worto.
edit - just checked and the one you suggested is OK but the off peak is quoted as:-
Free overnight usage (midnight-8am)
which is 8 hours a day less than I get now!
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Hi worto
Yep, all the BBYW products only have an 00:00-08:00 off peak, but you do get upto 8Gb on Option 2.  Might be worth checking your VMBU to see what you usually do.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

worto03

Thanks Chris - spot on mate, changed to low & it's working fine now Smiley
Cheers,
worto.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thought it might do Cheesy
*walks away smugly*
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.