cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP showing linked to Infonet Services Corporation

Danmcclurg
Grafter

IP showing linked to Infonet Services Corporation

hi there, this evening i noticed a severe drop in speed on our broadband, usually around 6-7mbps dropped tonight to 1.5mbps, had a quick look and our IP is showing as owned/ linked to Infonet Services Corporation, any reason behind this?

thanks
7 REPLIES 7
AndyH
Grafter

Re: IP showing linked to Infonet Services Corporation

Hi
The IP showing as belonging to Infonet is nothing to worry about - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=126149.0 If you disconnect/reconnect, you will be assigned a different IP out of the Infonet range.
Your speed slow downs - are you on one of the exchanges on this list http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/ ?
Danmcclurg
Grafter

Hi AndyH,
                  Thanks for the reply, good to know its nothing to wrry about. Do we know what causes these types of "glitch"? i was under the impression that ISP's had a block of IP addresses to assign to customers.  RE the speed, not on any of those exchanges, may just be a peak time slow down, speed is slowly picking up again so fingers crossed:)

thanks
AndyH
Grafter

Plusnet acquired the IP range from Infonet but the registry hasn't been updated yet (not sure why).
On the speeds, it sounds like congestion if it's slowing down at peak times then returning to normal. Which exchange are you on? It's worth raising it with Plusnet because they can check their monitoring to see if other users are affected and raise it as a fault with BT Wholesale.
Danmcclurg
Grafter

Hi, Im on the shenley church end exchange in milton keynes, speed has been a reasonable 4meg down, still not the 7 im used to but manageable, i will raise it with Pnet and see what they  say:)

Thanks
AndyH
Grafter

Hi
I'm on Bradwell Abbey and have had issues recently. I am wondering if they could be linked.
Are the speeds intermittently slow (i.e. peak times) or slow all the time?
Xanadu
Dabbler

I've just noticed another puzzling thing about  Infonet Services and that is the Static IP's I am being issued, when previously I was getting Dynamic IP's.
Will it return to the Dynamic ones when things settle down?

AndyH
Grafter

If you disconnect/reconnect, you should be assigned an IP outside of the Infonet range.
If you paid the £5 one off charge for a static IP, I don't think you would be assigned one from the Infonet range.