cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile reset

Sachin2015

IP profile reset

I was finally connected to Plusnet fibre just over a week ago before I went on holiday.  My download speeds were 38MB at the time but when I came back speeds have reduced to 17MB!  I have been told that I might need to get my IP profile reset.  Anyone know how to go about resolving this issue?
Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: IP profile reset

Hi Sachin2015,
A warm welcome to the forums.  Glad to see that after a bit of initial trouble you are now connected.  I note that no one explained on the forums what had happened to your order ... it rather looks like your old provider might have unilaterally ceased your service, rather than the migration process dealing with that in a smooth manner.  Unfortunately the way the BTw order systems work there can only be one order on a line at a time.  If the old provider placed a cease order on the line, no new order can be placed on the line, even if a new ISP has accepted it.  I suspect what happens is PlusNet (or any ISP) takes the order details, lines up an appointment and then 'ships' the order to BTw.  Some where along the line that order is rejected (and cancels the appointment) for whatever reason which potentially is not flagged to / not correctly picked up by PlusNet.
Dropped orders such as this can be a night mare - did you tell your old provider that you were leaving and advise them of a date?
In respect of your suspicion that your profile is wrong, what does the CURRENT SPEED link below report?  You will need to log into the user portal.
Was the speed test done over a wifi or wired connected PC?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sachin2015

Hi Townman,
Thanks for the reply.  I did get connected in the end but it certainly has been a painful process.
I informed my old provider around 5th July that I was changing my service provider to Plusnet on 5th August as I was required to give them at least 30 days notice.  When I received the text messsage about the cease from Plusnet, I contacted the old provider and asked them to cancel the cease.  I was told on 5th August that the cease had not been removed in time for the order to go through.  That meant I had to wait until 25th August to be connected as per the email from Plusnet.  However, when no-one arrived to do the conntection, I contacted Plusnet who informed me that there had been error and my order had been cancelled by mistake.  I was then told I had to wait a further two weeks before I could get connected.  The biggest problem was that every time I called I couldn't get through to someone for at least 30 minutes and then I got transferred to another department which took another 30 minutes to speak with someone.  I began to feel that I have become stuck in Groundhog day every time I called.
I just did the speed check as advised after logging in - it showed the estimated speed to be 40MB and the current line speed to be 78MB when tested on on 2015-07-08 14:23:09 using a wired connection.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
Something is not right here.  The "Current Speed" of 78Mbps is the default profile for the 80/20 product.  If that is correct, then the actual data speed at 17Mbps is way out from where it should be.
You could wait for CRT to pick this thread up on Monday or just raise a fault report using the link below.
have you checked the line for noise?  Dial 17070 option 2.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Sachin2015

Thanks Townman.  The problem seems to be resolved for now - seem to be getting the proper speed.