Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile dropped

caryn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

IP profile dropped

Hi
Reported a drop in internet speed a few days ago, which after checking at BT's speedtester, I realised was because our IP profile had been dropped to 2000 Kbps. Our connection seems quite stable at 5500 Kbps, but when the speed ramps up over 6000, we get random (mostly) evening disconnections, which I guess is why the profile has dropped.
A couple of things I don't understand / know about the DLM, I wonder if you guys could explain to me please ...
When theres a problem, why does the IP profile drop quite so drastcally, rather than gradually till the line is stable?
I've read that after 72 hours of no disconnections, it recalculates the line profile again. Is this correct and if so, would the profile go straight back to the highest stable, (which appears to be 5500 Kbps for us), or will it creep up in increments?
I wonder if  one of you guys could look at our routers behaviour over the last few evenings to see if it's behaved itself  Tongue We've not been aware of any disonnections at our end, but the limited speed with four people trying to use interntet gaming is already causing world war three at home lol.
Thanks for you help
Caryn
13 REPLIES 13
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: IP profile dropped

Hi Caryn,
As far as I know the IP profile drops according to the sync speed at the time. So, if you got a profile of 2000 it'll be because you were syncing between 2272Kbps-2848Kbps and conversely, when it rises, it depends on the sync rate. There's a table here on what profile to expect from specific sync rate ranges.
Below is a graph of your latest connections.
Jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

Hi Jo Jo
Thanks for the reply.
I was about to post that the disconnects over the last week didn't look too bad on the piccie u linked (the one on Monday morning was me rebooting the router through the router software), when our net dropped. Is there any way to identify what caused that drop? When it happened, we had one computer looking at this site, one connecting to facebook and an xbox trying to play CoD. There's nothing plugged in to the telephone sockets unfiltered and no extra household appliances running that aren't constantly on.
I assume that will affect the DLM will it? Hope it doesnt make the profile drop further Sad

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: caryn
I assume that will affect the DLM will it? Hope it doesnt make the profile drop further

It depends what the sync rate was when it reconnected. Also, I'm not sure what could have caused it. Have a look at our troubleshooting guide for some tips. You may need to raise a fault if it continues.
jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

I raised the fault Sunday, so I'll just watch it for a couple of days, see if I can see any sort of pattern.
ty
Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi caryn,
I'll check for any progress for you tomorrow.
Jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

Thanks JoJo, very helpful as always  Smiley
I just had a thought ... before the IP profile change came to light, I requested a package change from Pro to Extra, with the intention of adding Pro back to it after it becomes active later this month. I know this isn't connected with my current issues, but would a package change mid fault complicate things and would it be better postponed until after this is sorted?
Thanks again
Caryn
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Caryn,
No, a package change would have no effect on a fault.
Jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

Ah great, no worries there then.
ty Jo Jo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

Hi Jo Jo
Wondered if there's been any new info on my fault - the ticket hasnt been updated sice Tuesday, with the last update saying PN were testing and would advise shortly. Things have been very stable our end, so keeping everything crossed the DLM will see how well behaved we've been and hike us back up  Grin
Ty again
caryn
Rising Star

Scratch that last post Jo Jo, just had contact from the team.
My line has been reset, so I've been asked to power off the router in four hours time. The line is going to go through a 10 day training period, so I've been told to expect strange restarts etc for a little while. 2 questions.....
When I power off the router later, should I disconnect through the software first then hard power off, or just power off as the text message I received implies?
and
Will it speed the training period up, if I restart the router through the software at off peak times, once a day?
Thanks for your advice as always  Grin
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI caryn,
Yes, always disconnect via the router interface. There two schools of thought about powering off through the training period. Some say power it of once or twice during it but i'd say leave it on all the time.
Jojo Smiley
caryn
Rising Star

Well my profile is back up to 6k and the net seems to be running at normal speed, 5700 Kbps ish.  I'll monitor the speeds over the next few weeks and if we keep getting d/c's will try to pinpoint what's happening at the time (needles and haystacks come to mind lol). Our profile went back up in just a few days though, which I have to say has restored my faith in the DLM slightly, I was expecting weeks of tweeking things to get back there.
Plusnet might not be the cheapest package I could buy, but when things go wrong, it's great to have these forums to know someone is actually trying to sort things for you. Thanks a lot for your help.  Grin
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good news Caryn, thanks for keeping us informed Smiley