Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile dropped

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: IP profile dropped

If the faults team doesn't know what they are doing - they should be sacked and replaced with someone who willing to listen and do the job proper and put things right for the customer.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Chris
I'm pretty sure I said that the faults team *should* know this, and that's why I'm passing feedback on.

Chris,
Would I be correct in thinking that a user has to "get past" the front-line call desk to get their issue looked at by the "faults" team?  If that is correct, would it not be the case - if the FIRST line staff are not aware that DSL can be lost with out a loss of PPP - a user would not 'get to' the faults team where they *should* know better / " [you] would expect better from the faults team "?  One might therefore conclude (as suggested by Jelv) that the CSC (gate keepers to support) need to know this, so that they can pass on such issues to the fault team.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The visual radius tool is dangerously misleading:
1. As we've been discussing it does not show all loss of sync events.
2. If the user disconnects/reconnects via the router interface there will be no loss of sync but radius will show a loss of PPP.
3. If there is an issue on the BT network between the exchange and Plusnet there will be no loss of sync but radius will show a loss of PPP.
4. If there is an issue on the Plusnet gateways (or Plusnet kick uses to rebalance the network) there will be no loss of sync but radius will show a loss of PPP.
5. I'm assuming that rebooting the router on FTTC (perhaps because of wireless issues) where there is no loss of sync will also show loss of PPP on radius.
Key to fixing an issue is correct diagnosis. Using a tool that does not show what people think it shows is going to compound the problems as either inappropriate action os taken or the user given inappropriate advice.
I suggest anyone that is seeing loss of sync without PPP dropping should do a number of disconnects/reconnects via the router interface to poison the radius log and trick Plusnet in to taking the correct action.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I agree with jelv. The router sync communcation with the local exchange never break up or loss of sync. If Plusnet profile change at their end or maintenance work at their end, it will be loss of PPP connection, to reconnection then the fault teams will saying "Ah, you have 2 sync loss!" but that's got nothing to do with sync connection loss. It's just a soft PPP re-connection.
Any plusnet profile change shouldn't be called a fault loss of sync.
Any plusnet maintenance work shouldn't be called a fault loss of sync.
The customer reconnection to different gateway with a soft reconnection (PPP) shouldn't be called a fault loss of sync.
It's was misleading of plusnet radius thinking the sync loss to the exchange is a fault but it isn't. (even with PPP loss of connection)
I urgently plusnet to put the Radius Connection Log to be addition onto member account please with IP Profile stamped date/time as well. So, the customer will know when is the last of ip profile been changed and check the date/time and look up radius connection log to see if there is one drop out because of the profile change not the sync connection loss.

Plusnet should added to the customer member account:
1)
Radius Logs
These allow you access to real-time logs showing you each and every authentication attempt by your customers. These are superb for support issues where customers are unable to connect. They will even show if the password used is incorrect.
2)
BT Major Service Outages (MSO)
BT Wholesale provide us with feeds of known major service outages. As a reseller you can not only gain access to a complete list of known issues, we clearly label the usernames of any of your customers which will be affected by these. Once fixed details of the fix are shown allowing you to relay this onto the customer.
3)
Sync Profile Speed History
A great tool that helps track the profile speed which has been applied to a broadband connection at the exchange. Only available to BT Wholesale connections it can sometimes help explain why broadband speeds have dropped or falling. If the profile BT set is low, the achieved speed will also be low, but there may be reasons behind these reductions.
4)
Session History
Similar to the radius logs however they can show the length of connections and the reasons for disconnection (eg customer request, or potential issues with the connection). In the case of capped services data sent and received is monitored and listed.
5)
Planned Engineering (PEW)
In a similar fashion to the Major Service Outage notifications we allow resellers access to a complete list of planned engineering works affecting BT Wholesale equipment or exchanges. Details of the work and times / dates are shown along with confirmation of which users may be affected.
Finnigan
Grafter

Hi lads
            Thanks for all your input and detailed advice  Smiley I have had the netgear onsince yesterday afternoon and have not seen any issues so far,I think the main problem was 2 plusnets routers they are flaky at the best of time but that linestatedown issue is a nightmare,I have never came across an issue like it but its not uncommon when snyc rate is not as it should be its very hard to pinpoint it out without bt logs to verify it as its so quick on disconnecting and reconnecting @16secs i watch the router go on and off in seconds yesterday, I agree we with the rest on here we need a better fornt line to combat these issues whether its support or software based to spot and escalate these issues, By all means we are not alone with this issue O2,Virgin media, BT the list goes on, I will keep yous posted of any changes for the next couple days......Thank you all for helping me with this i hope i can repay your kindness sometime....Finnigan
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

What is rather annoyed me is plusnet own router isn't fully fit for purpose in the 1st place. The same problem when I had first superhub from Virgin Media, the wifi is awful slammed down to 3Meg out of 60Meg. They sent me out three times new superhub replacement and none of it was fixed until superhub2 is much better now. Lastly they did updated new firmware to fix the wifi issues on superhub. Why replacement three times if virgin media knew it was firmware issues bug. The same goes to plusnet router as you metion twices issues problem with line state down. Surely, Plusnet should have tested this router before sent out to customer.
Glad to hear your Netgear router is stable so far. What make & model of your Netgear?
Now, fearsome, that BT are to start FTTC self-install, what worrying me is Plusnet own modem router might be issues than BTO modem itself. I prefer engineer install and bring their own BTO modem but I just hope that Plusnet can bring a deal with BT to have Plusnet Hub 5. Not a cheapest rubbish modem router.