Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP profile dropped to 0.14Mbps

RichardWest
Grafter

Re: IP profile dropped to 0.14Mbps

O.K., I'll wait and see then.
(Upload is more important to me than download at the moment and upload is going fine.  Smiley )
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As you are so close to the exchange, when things are running normally, the odd drop isn't really going to matter, but you might just as well minimise the chances of drops.
When your profile is back up (but not before) then would be the time to investigate - unless you already know the answer. Do you know if the bell-wire to the extension has been disconnected?
You'll need to unscrew the master socket plate so you can look at the wiring behind, but don't do it with the modem/router connected in case there is a poor connection and that causes a drop of sync.
At the appropriate time, do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time investigate wiring, swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Checking the stats immediately after the sync, the Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin.
(I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection, or a worse one than you may have). I also recommend that method if you need to reboot/resync.
If you aren't sure how to do the PPP disconnect/connect, which modem/router are you using?
If you are happy to look at the wiring I'll tell you what to look for.
RichardWest
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Do you know if the bell-wire to the extension has been disconnected?

From memory, there were only two wires, but I wouldn't rely on my memory so I'll have to check.
If you aren't sure how to do the PPP disconnect/connect, which modem/router are you using?
If you are happy to look at the wiring I'll tell you what to look for.

I've found the disconnect/connect setting on the modem.
Re. bell-wire, if there are only two wires that = no bell wire yes?

I don't know if this is relevant but I noticed in my modem logs many instances of the following:
Jul 16 15:52:02 localhost user.err kernel: amazon_atm_cbm_isr: CBM Error: FPI Bus Error
Jul 16 15:52:02 localhost user.err kernel: amazon_atm_cbm_isr: CBM Error: FPI Bus Error
Jul 16 15:52:03 localhost user.err kernel: amazon_atm_cbm_isr: CBM Error: FPI Bus Error

Modem is a Cable and Wireless "MIMO 11g ADSL2/2+ Router" of unknown age.

P.S.
The modem errors stopped when the upload I was doing finished.
Anotherone
Champion

Yep, two-wires=no bell wire. I hope the colours of the two are Blue/white trace and White/blue trace. How long is the "short" link and the modem/router cable itself?
Don't know the modem/router (sorry you did mention the make in an earlier post), so can't help on that, hope someone else can explain that.
RichardWest
Grafter

The short link is probably about 1 metre ditto modem cable. I don't want to disturb anything at the moment to check for sure.  Roll_eyes
If I need to get a new modem/router, (Which I may do anyway.) Do you have any recommendations for a reasonably priced unit that will work when my exchange gets upgraded to 21CN next Jan?

EDIT.
BTW those errors are still there. Several a second every few seconds.
Anotherone
Champion

No, I wouldn't disturb anything or suggest it at the moment. If those two cables are standard flat cables you might want to think about upgrading them at some future point, if you have any ongoing problems, to twisted pair types. Other lengths are available. But there would be no point in doing that if the cable to your extension socket isn't CW1308 cable which will have the coloured wires I mentioned in reply #18.
As for modem/routers, well, as you are very close to the exchange that is a question that is almost impossible to answer as there are a number of all singing dancing ones, quite expensive and have facilities that may far exceed what you want, as well as basic ones that are quite reliable and cheap. All new modem/routers will cope with ADSL2+. If your exchange is only going to get 21CN in January, I take it you don't have FTTC available and it's unlikely that being that close to the exchange, FTTC would be provided for your location, so something that might be usable as a router only if you had FTTC is not a consideration.
You need to consider what your criteria would be eg. what wireless requirements you may have,  what your networking needs may be - TV's, Games consoles, Laptops, phones, wireless printers,  DMZ, port forwarding etc needs to be considered, and so on. I'd suggest when you have got that decided, start a thread and spell out your needs and you'll hopefully get some knowledgeable suggestions.
SpencerUk
Grafter

@RichardWest
Thanks for taking the time to speak with me this evening.
As discussed, as a temporary measure, I've got BT to manually align the profile back on your line so your speeds should return back to normal shortly. That way, we can monitor stability without your speed being crippled.
As I'm not in office tomorrow, I'll have a chat with you on Wednesday to see where we stand :). If you need to get in touch with me specifically put it to the ticket i've opened on your account (57719133).
RichardWest
Grafter

Thanks Spencer.
As we discussed, I'll setup the new router direct to the master socket when it arrives.
Thanks very much for everyone's help you've all been great.
I won't name my previous supplier but one of the reasons I left was that they didn't talktalk to their customers.
Anotherone
Champion

Aha, there's some action for you, and a pretty decent alternate modem/router will be a great help.
RichardWest
Grafter

I think a new modem is definitely needed. This one just crashed out, couldn't even connect wired. Never had that before so I guess it's on the way out.  Switched it off for 15 mins and it's up again now.
I haven't moved it as it doesn't seem worth the effort now, I'll wait for the new one and relocate then.
Anotherone
Champion

Let's hope it holds out then until the other arrives - it's got plenty of ventilation I hope. Just before you sync up with the new one, give that wiring a quick check out.
RichardWest
Grafter

Yes it is well ventillated and yes, I'll check out the wiring before I fire up the new one.
If this one dies first, I can use my phone for a basic web connection so I won't be webless  Smiley
RichardWest
Grafter

New modem/router arrived today. The old one seems as if it had problems again last night and BT have dropped my IP profile to 5Mbps which is fine for now. I have plugged it directly into the main socket but forgot to check the bell wire, hopefully, I don't really need to check that as fingers crossed, all should be well now.
Once I get a clean bill of health, I'll have to move the modem back to where it was, it wasn't 'till I moved the old old one out that I realised I need the wired connections for my two set top boxes and my TV as well as my printer.
Thanks go to Spencer for his swift action and his phone calls.
SpencerUk
Grafter

Thanks Richard for the praise Smiley
As per our brief conversation this afternoon, everything looks sorted stability wise (see below) following the installation of a new router.  I've also had a chat with BT who have assured me your profile should update by the end of the weekend. If it doesn't give us a shout and I'll get onto them!.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Good news, your line is very stable and your profile has now updated it's self to 7MB/s. Smiley
That should be everything sorted for you, let me know if you need any further help.
Chris