cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address geolocation security (lack of)

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: IP address geolocation security (lack of)

The spam Email is simple to deal with and fortunately they only got hold of an email address generated for that purpose (sites where you need an email as part of login). I was much more concerned when I discovered my location was known by ip as I guard my privacy. I checked and re-checked that no device of mine was disclosing location data so I became intrigued as to how this was happening.  I am very worried that having changed the ip the problem continues, I await Plusnets response with interest as it perhaps seems there much vaunted new network organization has led to this.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Just to complete the story in case anybody else is interested in this issue it is indeed a "feature" introduced by Pnets new network whatever they call it. It seems someone had the idea of distributing the connection intelligence to individual exchange level (god knows why) that also means each exchange has a pre-determined small pool of ip addresses to use, hence when you get a new one it has been used before by someone in your immediate area, if they were using devices with geo-location switched on BINGO you are located (within your exchange area). I understand if you PAY for a fixed IP address this uses the old network and remains firmly in Sheffield!

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I believe that I’m correct in saying the locating of IP addresses to local exchanges is a feature of the BT Wholesale product used by PlusNET. The ‘new’ network distributes DHCP services into the network thereby facilitating direct connection to many resources without the need to route through a PlusNET data centre.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think that's correct at all. Do you realise that when someone opts for a static IP, they will stay on exactly the same BTWholesale product as they were on before?

I don't think I've ever noticed any Internet traffic not going through a Plusnet data centre. I have no idea where you're imagining your Internet traffic goes, but I'm pretty sure it all goes through Plusnet. The fact that they might not bother to keep a count of the bytes for some of it any more doesn't mean it's not all going through Plusnet.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Just to complete the story in case anybody else is interested in this issue it is indeed a "feature" introduced by Pnets new network whatever they call it. It seems someone had the idea of distributing the connection intelligence to individual exchange level (god knows why) that also means each exchange has a pre-determined small pool of ip addresses to use

I'm a private person and I respect the privacy of others.

I wasn't aware of how they allocate IP's, just that my dynamic IP either changes by itself (a drop in the connection, but not every drop causes it to change) or some time a go we could simply restart the router and thus this too could trigger a new IP. Moving forward I believe switching the router off for 65 minutes now does the same as the quick powercycle.

However, here's some of my recent IP's (clearly not showing them in full):

146.199.14*.***
82.132.24*.**
146.198.*.**
80.189.24*.***
87.115.20*.**
146.198.22*.***
87.115.21*.***
87.115.21*.***
146.199.14*.***
87.115.21*.***
80.189.12*.***
82.132.24*.***
82.132.23*.**
82.132.22*.**
80.189.24*.***
146.199.14*.***
82.132.23*.**
146.198.22*.***
31.185.21*.***
87.115.21*.***
87.115.21*.***
146.198.22*.**
146.199.14*.***
51.7.4*.2**
87.115.20*.***
213.31.13*.***
80.189.24*.***
146.198.22*.***
213.31.13*.***
82.132.24*.***
31.185.4*.**
146.199.14*.***
146.198.22*.***
213.31.13*.***
146.199.14*.***

So, based on the above, even though none are repeated, I still don't know if it's exchange based or not.

You can get your list of IP's, assuming you're a regular forum user by clicking here - https://community.plus.net/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile:personal-info

hence when you get a new one it has been used before by someone in your immediate area, if they were using devices with geo-location switched on BINGO you are located (within your exchange area). I understand if you PAY for a fixed IP address this uses the old network and remains firmly in Sheffield!

Now Google for example does often state <village/town/city> From your Internet address - Use precise location - Learn more

However, I have to agree, some do get my exact location right, which must have come from a previous 'owner', which I don't like either. But I've nothing to hide, just don't like how it knows exactly.

I do know that by moving to a static IP, you are routed differently (when compared to a dynamic) within the Plusnet network.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Personally, I don't care if they can locate me, but I'm not that certain they are very good at it. I've had a rock-steady connection for 30+ days, and therefore the same IP, and Google has had me at my correct SW Sheffield location, in the NE of Sheffield, in the NW, and in an area to the SW of me in the next county in that period.

John
DS
Seasoned Champion

Personally, I don't care if they can locate me, but I'm not that certain they are very good at it.

I kinda do, but for reasons other than Google trying to harvest as much of my browser history as possible, to then pass on to others, whom in turn target me.

Readers can ignore this, but guess it's story time I suppose.....

1. When we were a customer of BT, I used their email service. SWMBO was using her device to do some shopping on Tesco when all of a sudden my email (on my device) started showing adverts for Tesco. I thought it was odd at the time, but wherever she went I was soon to follow (via ads on my emails). If I were the one surfing, then fair enough. And yes I agree they make their money from adverts.
  2. Then there was the time when my then preteen daughter started to see adverts on her BTY email account (her school wanted them to try emails, how things move on) and targeted her with over 18's content (not rude sites as we don't do that) but dating, gambling, credit cards, funeral plans etc etc etc. This went to high level at BTYahoo and this stopped.
  3. Then there was the rather bizarre BT Vision 'surprise'. We had two identical boxes, tuned to the same channels, from the same transmitter, both watching the same content, but in different rooms. So why did one show different adverts during the breakHuh? Upon spotting this oddity and immediately reporting it to BT, they denied this and then something of a coincidence occurred - the 2nd box rebooted (not by us) and then the ads were the same.
  4. It didn't affect me, but anyone remember ACS Law....? They were sending out letters based on the IP address and got the ISP to give them the users name and address. Many were wrongly accused

That's why my attitude to being on t'internet changed and the knowledge given to me by those whom also didn't agree with how certain bits of the www work.

I totally get the free services need to make their money from adverts, just give me random ones!!;)

(and stop showing me all the single women supposedly in my town, I'm happily married - and no, we don't search for that either)

I've had a rock-steady connection for 30+ days

If you ever consider taking in a lodger, stick my name on the top of the list!!;)

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

@DS, none of that would have anything to do with geo-location of any IP addresses you have had (except maybe for your last one about women in your town!). The letters from ACS Law (and others) located you by getting court orders telling ISPs to give the names and addresses of the people using certain IP addresses at certain times. Regardless of if you are on a static or dynamic IP address, this is something ISPs are legally obliged to keep. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Yes I know. And sorry for taking this o/t:(. I was following on from where I said I'm a private person and respect the privacy of others. I also did say 'kinda', but gave my reasons for not liking it.

And yes only one advert seems to use it - hence the ads for single women in my town

(this does change when using a different IP address, yet don't get why I get that sort of advert)

And yes although ACS didn't come knocking at my door, nor should they as as far as I'm concerned nowt illegal was or is being done on our connection, some were wrongly accused - either due to ACS giving the wrong IP or the ISP mixing up the IP or simply gave out the wrong details.

I've no problem with my ISP retaining any IP they issue:)

(what they do with it is something for another day on another section)

Anyway, sorry for moving away from the main theme, I'll sneak off now:)