Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address and secure sites

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

IP address and secure sites

Not sure where to post this query but ...
Yesterday,after the RBS/Natwest "meltdown", I still couldn't even get to the Bank's log in page, I got an SSL type error whichever browser I used ...until I was advised to disconnect/reconnect to force a new IP addy. Immediately the website starting working OK.  Why would this work???
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: IP address and secure sites

If it did start working purely because of the new IP that could suggest some kind of block was in place for the previous one.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Yes,thats what I thought when I couldn't get in...but why???
Normally, I can get to the log in page from any computer so it isn't IP address specific - I know that some banks are tying access down to a specific PC by use of some sort of identifier cookie downloaded onto the selected PC (Tesco Bank for instance) but I couldn't even get to the log in page -just wouldn't establish a secure session. Oh well -another one of life's many mysteries Grin
EDIT -The bank couldn't help me!! -it was a suggested fix from a member of another (financial) forum
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Oh well -another one of life's many mysteries

Or you could ask your bank if you know what the IP was Wink
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team