cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile

alegeek
Grafter

IP Profile

Can you please confirm if my IP Profile is correct on plusnet's side? I've done the BT test a few times over the past few days and the BT Profile shows as 5 Mbps
However, I can never seem to get a download speed in excess of 2Mbps. I do have a second phone line with ADSL on from BT and this is fantastic speed wise and my IP Profile is much better.
I've attached screenshots from both tests, my plusnet connection also feels very sluggish in the same way it was affected after the last BT outage. Both connections terminate at the same faceplate and I've no test socket incase you ask me to use that for testing.

8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: IP Profile

There is a big difference in the reported line speeds in those two results
Can you post the stats from both routers as it may give a hint as to what is going on.
If you aren't on Madasafish you can get the Plusnet profile here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed . It is called Current Line Speed
alegeek
Grafter

The Profile but in the plusnet portal reports:
Phone exchange:
EGREMONT
Estimated line speed:
3.5Mb (This may vary between 2.5Mb and 6.5Mb) - Checked on 2012-04-19 15:49:24
Current line speed:
5.5 Mb

My Router information for my Plusnet connection is:
ADSL
  Type Interleave Path
  Status Show Time
  Downstream Upstream
  Data Rate (kbps) 6208 448
  Noise Margin (dB) 12.0 26.0
  Attenuation (dB) 38.3 24.0
  Output power(dbm) 19.9 12.0

My BT Home Hub gives the following:
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 1 days, 22:46:43
Downstream: 7.781 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.1 dB / 26.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 40.8 dB / 22.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.9 dBm / 12.0 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 54
CRC Events (Down/Up): 2205 / 67

Hope that helps Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Two things - it doesn't seem to be the Plusnet profile limiting you. However it is possible that there is a mismatch between two BT systems - this will need a staff member to check.
The difference in speed between the two lines is the default noise margin. I suggest asking for it to be reset to 6dB on the Plusnet line (this may need a line retrain and may fix the other problem as well)
I see that you should be able to get ADSL2 at the beginning of July
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi theoddbot,
Just tried a consistency check test and it's passing, your profile shows as 5Mb across the DSLAM and BRAS. Given that's the case I suspect all we could do is get some BT speed test results and if they're low enough we could raise you a fault off the back of those. More than likely still worth doing, though.
alegeek
Grafter

I've done another test today and I'm still only getting 1.69Mbps, with the profile showing 5Mbps.
This started after the last BT outage, I got stung during the outage before that also with slow speeds. They did maintenance and everything returned to normal, I dread opening a support ticket to try and get this resolved as the tech's don't read what you put in tickets!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

theoddbot

No ticket, no fix I'm afraid Smiley I've just checked your account and can't see anything obvious that's causing a reduction in speed so I'd advise getting a fault raised before replying back to this thread.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Try a Gateway hop just in case that sorts it. Login to your modem/router's interface and you should find a "Disconnect" button (NOT a Re-boot/re-sync!). This will drop the ppp session and the Button will change to "Connect". Wait a minute and the Press "Connect".
alegeek
Grafter

Well, as this problem was identical to my last speed problem. I chose to wait things out and since BT's last bout of national maintenance my speeds have gone backup.
My sync speed dropped down to 3488 just before their last bout of maintenance, that completed and I've since gone back upto 7488 and now get consistent speeds in excess of 5Mbps.
So, two times BT's had problems, two times they have done maintenance, two times my speeds have gone back to normal.
Maybe Plusnet might take me seriously when I say my speed issues start after national outages..