cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile

GStreatfeild

IP Profile

Hi
We've just moved to Plusnet (yesterday) after an eternity on Tiscali/TalkTalk, We're already seeing benefits in latency and streaming speeds.
However we are still on a up to 1mbps connection (dsl synch speed of 1152), not surprising as we've only just moved over; I was wondering if there was a way to reset our profile to see if things have improved since we first got broadband, or would this happen automatically as part of switching over.
The only reason I ask is that we were quoted an average speed of 5mbps when we switched over (not the highest reason for doing so, but a factor)
any tips would be appreciated
Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: IP Profile

You are almost certainly on a fixed speed product - to confirm please advise the upstream sync which should be 288kbps
If so you need to raise a ticket to move to MaxDSL
GStreatfeild

yeah upstream is 288.
I presumed that it was a limitation on the line - we're pretty far from the exchange, and when we first moved to this address and got broadband there was a squirrel issue which caused constant disconnects and poor QOS.

now as a noob with plusnet, to raise a ticket I just have to give them a ring, no extra cost etc?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You could start here https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22883&wizard_id=38
Alternatively give them a call on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 (the latter one is useful if calling from a mobile where it is part of the included minutes)
GStreatfeild

Thanks for your help Jim. I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow - speeds are fast enough compared to what we were on before, just nice to have an idea that we might be able to go faster still.
I'm quite looking forward to it; calling yorkshire instead of chennai should make communication a bit easier, not a huge amount, but enough.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@GStreatfeild I've just checked your account and can see that your line has a 7150kbps profile at the moment.
How are the speeds at the moment? If this is still an issue please raise a fault and give me a nudge: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
GStreatfeild

We're still on a 1152 kbps synch speed, I raised a ticket - #51914270. and confused the ADSL2+ and ADSLmax products so I have clarified myself in the response.
The support agent has mentioned that the connection is intermittent - whilst it may be an issue, I don't think it's the key one, as I would expect it to have changed when we had the router connected and up for 4 days. I have been trying to keep the router on and stable as long as possible, but sometimes a reboot is unavoidable.
GStreatfeild

Update on the ticket, one of your agents (I believe we're not supposed to mention names on the forum) has instructed me that he's asked "your suppliers" to upgrade the line
cannot wait for the increased speeds, whilst it's fast at the moment, I can't help but think that my eyes will be like this -> Cheesy in a few days time
GStreatfeild

Another update, turns out I was on ADSLmax all along, but had been "banded" due to intermittent connection.
did another BT Speedtest and it says our IP profile is 1000kbps....

Download speedachieved during the test was - 799 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 200-1000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1152 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 288 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1000 Kbps
GStreatfeild

right the request to move the BT cap has been made, just got to wait for it to complete, they said it was going to be 4 hours or so (really impressive, when working for a certain bank doing their IT Support  this was the turnaround time if an entire branch went down, so for one measly request this is really impressive)
Does anybody know if there is a way to provide feedback for the CS agents involved, I was going to update the ticket to reflect how impressed I have been, but it'll end up in their work queue again, and nobody wants that.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You could PM one of the Digital Care Team. I'm sure they would be very happy to pass the message on.
Adam for example on http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=278
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Should be fine on the ticket in all honesty (nice for the support team to read something positive every so often Wink ) but if you want to drop any of us a PM or just post up here that'd be fine. PM would probably be best as unless an agent posts in the forums we'd rather keep their names out of here if possible, but thanks and it's great to know you're wanting to feed back positively - cheers!
GStreatfeild

turns out there was a fault on the line, another CS agent has gone through to BT to ask them to do a manual reset....

.... IT WORKS!
we've synched up at 7040Mbps, and we're getting 5Mbps Downstream - if you want to see the change I took a screenshot of the speedtest and attached it.