cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile not setup correctly

lee0069

IP Profile not setup correctly

Ok i now really feel like i`m talking to a wall on the phone so maybe some one on here can help me out .
I was meant to be upgraded to plusnet fiber 80Mb but there is very clear problems why i can only download at 40Mb.
As you can see by the screen shots bellow i need my IP profile reset to 76Mb NOT 48Mb  !

Also if not sorted very soon i will leave my contract free off charge !
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/internet/3233346/brits-can-get-out-of-broadband-contracts-with-no-pe...
18 REPLIES 18
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: IP Profile not setup correctly

What on earth makes you think your profile should be 76Mb?
How far are you from the cabinet?
The only thing I can see wrong is that your current line speed on the portal should be 40, not 48.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
lee0069

I upgraded service to 80Mb broadband and live around 550 meters from cabinet .
Also if you have an look at the BT speed tester it shows 40Mb download and that i am NOT on an 80Mb broadband package.
As most people know , you download speed will never go over your IP profile.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

On the 40Mb line the maximum IP profile is about 38.7Mb so your IP profile would indicate a sync speed of about 41.7Mb which you won't get on a 40Mb provision
Also you might want to remove your telephone number from the picture in the first post
lee0069

Exactly , so in order for me to even download at my estimated speed of 48Mb +/- 1Mb my IP profile should be at least 76Mb that way my modem would connect at my best speed.
Witch is what i am trying to explain to plusnet on the phone   Sad
Thanks for telling me about phone number , removed from image now
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The IP profile is set by the sync speed which is set by the automatic systems in the exchange/cab not the other way round
The only argument you seem to have is that you are close enough to the cab to get higher speeds but you don't know the quality or length of cable between you and the cab.
When BT first set up the fibre what speeds were you getting
Also from the BT speedtest what is the upstream IP profile
lee0069

when it was first installed "less then 2 weeks ago" i was getting around 40-41 Mb download
Oldjim
Resting Legend

So the BT Openreach checker is a bit wrong
When you said upgraded I assumed that you meant from the 40Mb package not from ordinary ADSL hence my question
lee0069

Well was on ADSL then upgrade to 40MB fiber now upgraded package to the 80Mb  fiber package.
But seams they have not reset my ip profile and just left on the 40Mb one
CX
Grafter

Moving from 40Mb to 80Mb doesn't guarantee any speed increase. It depends entirely upon the quality and length of your line from the cabinet to your property, along with any sources of interference along the way.
Your IP profile is higher than what is possible on a 40Mb connection, so it has increased. Furthermore, the IP profile is set automatically based upon how fast your modem syncs to the equipment in the cabinet. It is highly unlikely that you'll get anywhere near 76Mbps at that distance from the cabinet.
Interesting that the Plusnet profile is set to 48Mbps. Perhaps you have previously synced slightly higher that you are now (not massively higher) and that either you have resynced at a different time of day to that higher rate, or the DLM has determined that your connection was not stable enough at that rate. In any case, I believe that you will be told that everything is working as expected (be that from Plusnet, BT, or another ISP if you leave).
lee0069

I have now managed to contact BT Wholesale directly . this is what they told me :
"Lee, I have checked the details and see that this is an FTTC circuit and only an engineer can perform the profile reset on this. Please contact your service provider"
So really all Plusnet did was change the IP profile only on there system because can only be done by an engineer. If plusnet would of just known / said this to me then would of saved
me an lot of time. From now on i think if plus net no help any more i will just talk to BT Wholesale directly till Plusnet give there staff more training.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Perhaps Plusnet changed Current line speed on their systems because that is the only one they can change. You seem to want a fault reporting when there isn't one as far as I can see.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You haven't answered this:
Quote from: jelv
What on earth makes you think your profile should be 76Mb?

Your current IP Profile proves beyond any shadow of doubt that you are on the 80 Mb product as that speed is impossible on the 40Mb product.
What was the speed estimate given when you ordered fibre?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi lee0069,
I have checked your connection and profile. You are currently on our 80MB product, your profile is set 48MB/s which appears to be the correct profile on your line.
As I see you have raised a fault and our faults team are investigating this, I will leave it with them and await their results.
Please let me know if you need any further assistance with this.
Chris
lee0069

still not getting over 39Mb download  Embarrassed ip profile is still the same as before , maybe some one has missed some thing along the line of upgrading