cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile change please

dbbrunton
Grafter

IP Profile change please

As per Question ID 36280638 I would like this put up please. Currently stuck on 2000 kbps when the line was taken over. Previous ISP was able to get 2750kbps on this line.
Thanks
88 REPLIES 88
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: IP Profile change please

Hi DBB,
Did you move over from an LLU provider, or was this a new provide?
I suspect the latter because the profile on BTs side has been set to 2Mb since the line was installed. It may go up, but LLU providers own their own exchange equipment and use different configurations which aren't necessarily available on BTs platform. We'll certainly try our best to get the speed up for you though.
Unfortunately however until your BT profile lifts changing the profile on our side won't make any difference. Is the router in the master socket, and is everything else plugged into the line filtered?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can you post your router stats (sync speed, noise margin and attenuation) please. That should give an indication of what is possible.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dbbrunton
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi DBB,
Did you move over from an LLU provider, or was this a new provide?
I suspect the latter because the profile on BTs side has been set to 2Mb since the line was installed. It may go up, but LLU providers own their own exchange equipment and use different configurations which aren't necessarily available on BTs platform. We'll certainly try our best to get the speed up for you though.
Unfortunately however until your BT profile lifts changing the profile on our side won't make any difference. Is the router in the master socket, and is everything else plugged into the line filtered?

Moved from tiscali. Before the move I called (and also used the message popup) to check whether I could attain the same speed, and this was confirmed.
Router is in the master socket, as only 1 socket in house, and 1 phone also connected  to the filter.
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 8:28:25
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 2.336
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 117,92 / 2,73
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,5 / 17,5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,5 / 61,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19,0 / 6,5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 10 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 845 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 98 / 9.621
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 327
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 285

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: DBB
Moved from tiscali. Before the move I called (and also used the message popup) to check whether I could attain the same speed, and this was confirmed.

They lied! For your attenuation a sync of 2336 is exactly as expected which gives an IP Profile of 2000. You'd have to consistently sync at 2848 kbps or higher to move up to the next IP Profile step.
LLU doesn't use IP Profile the way BT does which is why LLU speeds are frequently a little higher.
dbbrunton
Grafter

Basically I'm bouncing off the 2mb connection, and know this line holds 2.75mbps easily. I'm now paying more money for a connection that is over 25% worse in speed terms. I was actually told on the phone on saturday, that I could get a profile of 2500 on this line.
Heres the slightly better stats from router 2

VPI/VC 0/38 Protocol PPPoA Tx-Rate (kbps) 448 Rx-Rate (kbps) 2592 Tx-PDUs 6768 Rx-PDUs 9639 Tx-Errs 0 Rx-Errs 1
Max. Theoretical Speed (bits/sec) 2592000
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I was actually told on the phone on saturday, that I could get a profile of 2500 on this line.

I can't see how they could say that. Try putting your attenuation in to http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
Do you know what your attenuation was before you moved over (I wouldn't have expected it to change by much)?
dbbrunton
Grafter

After jigging a few wires etc etc
Currently
ATU-C Current Tx Rate 2976000
ATU-R Current Tx Rate 448000
Ping is 85ms
Would that be a result of my jigging, or there putting interleaving on. Ping has only slighly increased.from about 70ms

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi DBB,
It depends what wires you've changed and how. Do you mean you've removed a phone extension cable, or that you've changed the wiring in the sockets?
Either way, I'd definitely recommend (once you have your wiring sorted out to the point you're happy with it) putting the line details into the calculator Jelv has linked to above.
dbbrunton
Grafter

comes out as 2500 kbps, although that doesn't answer the question regarding "or there putting interleaving on", so I don;t know if that has occured yet.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies for missing that - interleaving has now been put on your line. This may account for the increase in speed, but as I said earlier it depends what's changed on your line as well (if anything). Both can have an effect on the sync speed.
Could you advise how the router is connected to the phone line and PC? Are there any extension cables, or is the router directly in the master socket>
dbbrunton
Grafter

Router is in the master socket, as only 1 socket in house, and 1 phone also connected  to the filter.
dbbrunton
Grafter

So when does my profile change? Been over 3 days with enough kbps to move up to 2500, still stuck on 2000.
dbbrunton
Grafter

I am starting to get really [Censored] off with your responses. I meet the conditions of an IP Profile of 2500, my line holds ABOVE this speed, and yet you state on the fault call
"As far as this speed in general is concerned, after having looked in to your area on an independent broadband monitoring website (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker) i can see that in your area and for your number we would expect to see a line speed of between 512kbps and 1mbps so a line profile of 2000kbps is actually significantly higher than what we would expect."
Sort it out, as even the link you provide shows I should be on a higher profile
2848 kbps 3392 kbps 2500 2560 Up to 2.5 Mbps

Edit.
Thank you. Profile has now been changed - although it really shouldn't get to the stage of me having to get pissed off to get things done.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

For small changes in IP Profile it can take 5 days for the DLM to react. Sadly it looks like that reaction time is what you have just experienced.
David