Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile / Speed

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: IP Profile / Speed

You don't need to reboot, we drop your PPP session.
littlebird
Dabbler

I'll make sure I don't reboot it. will know after 5 when I get home
littlebird
Dabbler

Just want to say thanks, big improvement on speed, still about 2Mbps less than my last provider but I am happy with this  Grin
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3452 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6880 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Excellent Smiley
littlebird
Dabbler

Should I now change back to the Thomson router or leave the Zyxel one I'm using?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Whichever you like
grahamt
Rising Star

Given that you got such a big sync speed increase by going back to your Zyxel I reckon you're better off sticking with it for the time being. (I also access Plusnet using a Zyxel and it's been very reliable.) Your downstream sync of 6880 looks about OK for the attenuation figure you gave (44) - does the Zyxel give you the same attenuation figure?
If you want to try the Thomson again (and there's no good reason why it should be so much slower) try changing as little as possible at first - use the same filter as you're using for the Zyxel and the same router-to-filter cable (assuming the connections are compatible, which I think they should be).
For an IP profile of 5500 I would expect a faster real throughput than the 3452 reported by the BT speedtest (it should be around 4900-5000). The BT speedtest isn't always reliable about actual speeds - try the Plusnet broadband speed test (via 'Connection Settings' in your control panel), ideally outside peak evening hours when network congestion might affect your throughput.
If your sync speed stays at 6880 your IP profile should rise to 6000 - though this can take a while (3-5 days in theory). The BT speedtest is good for seeing what your BT IP profile is, then you can check 'High-Speed Broadband' in your control panel 'Connection Settings' to check that the Plusnet IP profile matches it. With a profile of 6000 you should get something close to your old 5.5Mbps real throughput.
Graham