Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile Reset with new router

gsilent
Dabbler

IP Profile Reset with new router

Hi All,
I had a problem with my router last Wednesday (It had a problem with the transformer and basically fried itself!). Anyway, I got a new router on Thursday, hooked it all up and everything was fine...except I noticed my IP profile is set to 0.25kbps! I can see why it might have done this as my connection was offline for 24 hours whilst I didn't have a working router and was prepared to give it the 3 days to reset. However I noticed this morning that somehow my connection reset overnight which is very annoying as it only had under 7 hours left for the 3 day IP profile reset period. I put a ticket in to see if there's anything support can do to manually reset my profile as it's pretty clear the connection is stable apart from the slight blip last night for whatever reason.
I also moved my router to the test socket this morning in case there's any more problems to avoid messing around time, but I don't think there are any. I just need a profile reset. It's really gutting to have to wait another 3 days when I've already nearly waited 3 days. This morning support ran some tests which set the modem mode to "Training" before it reconnected. It did reset my connection time though on each occasion no doubt restarting my 3 days countdown. 
Has anyone had this sort of issue before when they've tried changing a router? I'm completely paranoid that it's going to get to 2 days 17 hours again and repeat itself and be stuck in a  0.25kbps world forever when I really need to use the connection for business purposes. I'm having a nightmare time for what is actually a fully working hardware and line set up.
Here's my stats
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 283 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 39.5 db 22.8 db
Noise Margin 19.5 db 26.6 db
Connection Time 00:55:25 (this was 2 days 17 hours, very annoyed!).
*Edit: The router just cycled in to the "Training" and then "Connected" mode again, resetting the connection time again in the process. I'm stuck at this speed forever now, aren't I? Sad
18 REPLIES 18
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: IP Profile Reset with new router

The modem/router goes into training as it tries to establish sync with the exchange, in other words a resync. If you've asked for a reset and the tests were ok, then the last resync may have been due to that. See what your current stats are.
The very low connection speed will be because the connection got "banded" by the exchange DLM, I guess that there were many multiple disconnects as your old modem/router was frying!
The upstream sync speed suggests you are on 21CN, so your profile should go up as soon as your sync speed goes up, but you should also check your Current Line speed (Login required) when that has happened to ensure it matches the BT IP profile for the line.
gsilent
Dabbler

Thanks Anothertone, interesting info.
The current stats are all unchanged. It's interesting to know about that web page you linked to. It currently says 0.25 Mb which does match the sync speed, although I would be happier to see it start with a 7 rather than a 0 though! Smiley
Current line speed: 0.25 Mb Sad
Anotherone
Champion

What did you tell CSC and what did they say when you spoke to them?
gsilent
Dabbler

I told them exactly what I posted here. They were interested to find out why my connection lost sync overnight which I think is why they're running the tests. I just hope they don't make it try to resync again and reset the timer.
I'm so frustrated that it lost sync just a few hours before the profile was due to change. The whole 3 day thing seems so excessive especially when it happens like this.
Anotherone
Champion

If you login to the Member Centre and have a look at My Questions you can see what the current tickets are on your account and what if anything is being done.
If you are on 21CN there is no 3 day thing, that is what us poor unfortunates on 20CN have to put up with!
There is no doubt in my mind, that having replaced your modem/router, your connection should be unbanded straight away, If the only way they can unband your line is to place an order to BTw which is unlikely to complete quickly, then they should reset your line which usually takes effect immediately but can take upto 4 hours. Bear in mind if they reset the line and you have any issues it may not be possible to do anything until line training completes.
gsilent
Dabbler

It's amazing how much I have no idea how the broadband tech works these days. This is amazing info, thanks very much Smiley
I think you might be right, I think I am on 21CN.
The exchange checker page on Kitz for my local exchange says:
Status
ADSL enabled: May 31, 2002
DSL Max enabled: March 31, 2006
21CN WBC (Broadband) Enabled
21CN due : (PSTN) info N/A
gsilent
Dabbler

Noticed the red light on the router to see that it lost sync again overnight, went to reset it but noticed that it was syncing at 7MBit again...! Smiley
Router Stats
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7086 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 39.5 db 22.8 db
Noise Margin 15.0 db 26.5 db
I'm still getting 0.25Mb of throughput but I think this is Plusnet's end now as the current speed page still has me on 0.25Mb
Current line speed:
0.25 Mb
BT's speed tester is reporting what I would have expected
7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.15 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 6.25 Mbps
I guess the only question left is how long does it take Plusnet to up it (I guess I could probably ring them for this last bit).
Moral of the story guys, don't let your routers die!
Anotherone
Champion

I'm guessing it will be updated any minute  Wink
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi gsilent,
I've been looking into the fault that you have reported and I've highlighted a problem within your exchange. I've updated your fault ticket with the relevant details on the fault and how we will go about getting this resolved.
If you have any questions, please feel free to pop a post on here Smiley
gsilent
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
It's actually all working now. I'm connected back at the speed I was before I changed routers so I think everything's fine?
Anotherone
Champion

There could still be a fault present, unless it's just been fixed in the last few hours, but whichever, your current line speed could still be updated.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'm really glad to hear that things have picked up for you. I've upped your profile from our end for you so it matches.
I am going to leave the fault open though and get an engineer to take a look at the problem at your exchange, at least this way we are resolving an issue that has been detected. I don't want to leave this fault and the same thing happen to your connection.
I hope this helps Smiley
gsilent
Dabbler

Thanks for your help guys.
I was wondering what the best way to restart a router would be to avoid DLM kicking in. I need to reboot my router to get some wireless settings to stick, this will obviously interrupt the connection. Is there a special way to do this? E.G. Should the adsl connection be left up for a certain period of time before I do it?
Anotherone
Champion

This is the best method for reboots. resyncs or swapping things around -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. Click Disconnect.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. 
Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the Exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection (or a worse one than you may have). If you have a number of changes to make to modem/router settings, I'd suggest you do it all with the line unplugged after powering down. You can check the settings have stuck and reboot as many times as you like off-line.
Also note, you can use the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
This is where you can effectively change the "channel" that you are connected to at the Plusnet end and doesn't cause a resync with the exchange. There maybe all sorts of reasons you may want to do this from download speed issues to pages not loading, lots of lag, etc.