cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile Low ?

DaveFw
Dabbler

IP Profile Low ?

Ok this is getting abit ridiculous now i have been suffering from slow downloads for neally 2 weeks now and i now something is wrong, i have signed up on...
Plusnet Premium at £19.99
Up to 20Mb speeds
80GB usage allowance
for a while now and have been getting well over 15000 Kbps download speeds, i know BT have been doing alot of work lately and surely something along the lines have knocked my IP Profile down which has resulted in low download speeds.
this is my last Speedtest and the results are .......
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6891 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :9608 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 8000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 15.69:25.13:59.17 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

Please PlusNet sort this out for me before i crack up, this is driving me mad
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: IP Profile Low ?

Your IP Profile and speed you are seeing look appropriate for your current sync speed.
Can you post your router stats (sync speed, attenuation and noise margin) please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DaveFw
Dabbler

the following stats are.....
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 9611 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 14.5 db 7.1 db
Noise Margin 6.3 db 26.6 db
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Hmmmm...
I was expecting to see a high noise margin.
Can you plug in to the test socket inside the master with no phone attached and then post the figures again please.
DaveFw
Dabbler

ok the wall socket in the living room can't be a master as it don't have a test plug for some reason, i do have another wall socket in the hall but i will need a extension lead to try it, i know that one does have a test socket.
its wierd because the wall socket i'm using have reached over 15000 Kbps download speeds.
anyway as for the results you want then i will have to try it tomorrow when i will buy a lead to test with then i will post the results here, if thats ok ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Using a telephone extension lead can cause problems itself. It would be far, far better to site the router by the master socket and then run a long ethernet cable to the PC.
I suggest you set things up in the hall temporarily to check the stats and then decide what to do depending upon the results.
DaveFw
Dabbler

hi jelv
I did what you recomended without a extension lead which i managed with a laptop to check results and this is what i got .........
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 11.0 db 8.5 db
Noise Margin 9.1 db 29.0 db
anyway i got a call today from PlusNet telling me that my download speed is lower than normal and they are going to switch interleaving on which they will do on Monday 22nd November so for that to happen i have to leave my router plugged into the Test Socket for the whole process till they ring me back, hopefully this will cure the problem (fingers crossed).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi DaveFw,
The faults guy must've seen errors to place interleaving but the reason for the low sync speed is because the profile has been banded. This means that you will only sync between 4864Kbps - 9728Kbps on the band you have been placed in. Once the errors are corrected the banding may be able to be lifted.
Jojo Smiley