cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Profile Increase needed

Keymer
Dabbler

IP Profile Increase needed

Back in October I had a problem with slow download speeds http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,99189.0/topicseen.html.
I logged this as a fault and after some to-ing and fro-ing between Plusnet and BT a fault with my line was identified and resolved (thanks to Plusnet support for their assistance by the way).  BT replaced my old master socket and confirmed that the internal wiring within the house was fine.
After the fix, for 5 days I was recording steady download speeds of around 5000 kbps and a BTSpeedtester test showed an IP Profile of 5500 kbps. On 24 Nov the IP Profile reduced to 4500 kbps and my download speed reduced. After a dropped connection at that time (possibly due to a local storm) my download speeds have been stable at around 2800 kbps for the last 10 days, presumably because the IP Profile is now 3000 kbps.
I thought that after a couple of days the IP Profile would adjust back to a higher level automatically, but as that hasn't happened is there something that Plusnet can do to bring this about? My router stats show that it has remained connected for 10 days now - it's left switched on continuously.
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: IP Profile Increase needed

Hi Keymer, what speed is the router in sync at? Looks like the profile was last updated on the 24th November and recorded a downstream speed of 3424, hence your current low profile. If the sync speed is still the same that'll be why it hasn't moved back up.
Best bet would be to disconnect and reconnect the service and see if you get a higher speed, though don't forget to disconnect the router via its interface before powering it off and on again.
Hope that speeds things up for you, please let us know if not - and more importantly please advise what the current sync speed is and what it moves to after the reboot.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Keymer,
I've just tested your line and your SNR is very high, I can reset this, but first can you tell me how your equipment is set up. Are you using any extension cables/sockets? Can you plug into the test socket? It might also be worth changing filter. Just need to rule out whatever caused the interference to make sure it doesn't happen again. Once we do this, we'll have you back up to speed in now time!
Jojo Smiley
Keymer
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies Matt and Jo,
Picking up on your points, I'm plugged into an extension socket which is hard wired into my main line socket. This brand new main socket was installed about 4 weeks ago by BT (to replace a really old version) and at the time they tested the extension and said it was ok. I'm afraid plugging into the test socket isn't really an option for me as it is high up on a wall and a long long way from any power points.
After my post, my sync speed and the IP profile increased for a couple of days, but today it came down again. Speedtester results are
BT Speedtester 1 Dec 11
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2709 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3776 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3000 Kbps
BT Speedtester 5 Dec 11
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2708 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3776 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
BT Speedtester 7 December
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2654 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6112 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
BT Speedtester 8 December
Download speed achieved during the test was - 2009 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6112 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5000 Kbps

BT Speedtester 11 December
Download speed achieved during the test was - 2308 Kbps
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3072 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
After today's test I disconnected the router via the interface then turned off/on again.
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

To be honest in the majority of cases problems like this are caused by faulty wiring. In order for us to test this further we would need you to plug into the test socket. Could you use an extension cable for your power to get it near enough?
Jojo Smiley
Keymer
Dabbler

At last I've had the opportunity to look at this again. Today I've changed my the extension socket and the wiring that my router is connected to. The sync speed on the router appears to be 7600kps, and my download speed  2900 kbs. BT Speedtester no longer appears to work for me so I can't see the IP Profile. Is there anything that you can do at your end to increase my speed?
Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've made a change to your account profile, please let us know if that sorts it? If not we can request an SNR reset and let the line retrain, but hopefully that won't be needed.
Keymer
Dabbler

Thanks Matt. The speed has now improved to around 4000kbps. Do you think that an SNR reset is likely to improve this further? If so, can you please request this. I can't recall the last time the line was reset - certainly before BT replaced my master socket and I rewired the extension.