cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Cam - Port Forwarding Need Help

nathbadco

IP Cam - Port Forwarding Need Help

i have got IP CAM on my old HTC Desire to use it as a webcam, however i cannot access it externally / from outside the network, Plus Net cannot provide any help with port forwarding, i have a static external IP which is assigned to the HTC Desire and i have the port that i am using  forwarded to the device i want to view the camera from, but it is not working
the router i have is the technicrap TG852n, it is somewhat confusing
NEED TO HAVE THIS UP & RUNNING BY END OF TODAY OR I SHALL BE GOING BACK TO MY OLD ISP, my old ISP may be more expensive but they can provide a better router, and provide support
adie:red all caps title removed as per link:rules
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: IP Cam - Port Forwarding Need Help

If you still have your old router, you could use that.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
gofaster
Rising Star

It's not clear from your description what it is that you are trying to achieve.
Are you trying to use the HTC Desire as a camera or to watch a webcam?
What are you using as a camera - is it attached to your LAN?
What are you using as a viewer - is it attached to your LAN?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nathbadco
i have the port that i am using  forwarded to the device i want to view the camera from,

This doesn't make sense, you should set up port forwarding to the camera.
It would help greatly if you describe your setup in more detail but one thing that may help is that port forwarding on the Technicolor router only works to addresses that it has allocated via DHCP. 
batchelorboy

I can't believe that.  When you have set up the port forwarding for a device/service you then have to assign that service to an IP address.  As DHCP allocated IP addresses are not guaranteed to change, how can you reliably assign a service to a DHCP allocated IP address?
I am trying to solve the same sort of problem with an IP Cam, but I cannot guarantee I have made a mistake in the config, so until I get back to the router I will not say much more now, but I would like to know if your assertion about only being able to forward ports to DHCP allocated IP addresses is true or not.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Yes you can PF to a static IP address.
But if you have a problem with the PF failing then changing to a dhcp assigned IP address and ticking "always use the same IP address" in the routers gui will often fix the problem.
Use the following cli commands if you wish to assign a specific dhcp address:
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#lanip