cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Address... how do i tell what it is?

iacragg

IP Address... how do i tell what it is?

hi there - I'm sat in a hotel room and want to access my home broadband router. How do i find out what its IP address is? I can't seem to see any way of getting that from the many account/connection/broadband settings from within plusnet's help pages.
anyone know or do I just have to wait until I get home and access the router from within the home network?
cheers
Ian C.
11 REPLIES 11
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: IP Address... how do i tell what it is?

Welcome to the Forum
unless you have a fixed IP address, your router get a different one each time it connects
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi iacragg,
I've sent you a PM with your current ip address. Bear in mind should your connection reboot at any time this will change as it's dynamic.
Jojo Smiley
iacragg

thanks Smiley
just got the message and it's right. many thanks, that's much appreciated Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi iacragg,
No worries, glad I could help. I would suggest using something like DynDNS. You can set it up from home and when you're on the move it tracks your ip address.
Jojo Smiley
fourfourdevon
Grafter

For future reference you can visit http://www.whatsmyip.org/ and it will tell you your current public IP.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

But only if you are actually on that IP address... The OP is not so that would not have given them the IP address they needed.
DynDNS is the way to do this is future for dynamic IPs and many routers support this natively without needing to run any software on a PC on the internal network..
fourfourdevon
Grafter

D'oh! Sorry misread the OP.
iacragg

i actually already use opendns which does this with a little gizmo... unfortuntely I had run the gizmo in i-am-brain-dead mode and it over-wrote the original entry (my home IP) with the IP of the router at this hotel. Doh....
brain in gear before accessing internet would be very sensible.
anyway, thanks for the suggestions and help. I'm sorted now - it's all much appreciated
rgds
Ian C.
iacragg

and will look up the suggested link - thanks. if it does it without the need for s/w then that's VERY useful indeed.
excellent stuff. thanks again Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hopefully you don't have a Belkin router. Getting DynDNS to work on these might be a bit troublesome judging from posts in this topic.
David
iacragg

fortunately not, it's a netgear.
thanks again
Ian C.