cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Address change on Fibre Router

cypher

IP Address change on Fibre Router

Firstly I apologise if this has already been answered on a different post.
I have upgraded to a Fibre broadband package and PlusNet have supplied a Technicolor router, which is working well. My issue is the default subnet is 192.168.1.x which is conflicting with my work environment once I launch VPN. I have spoken with our IT department and they have informed me to change the subnet away from 192.168.1.x, but I (and our techy) cannot see anywhere on the routers management webpage which would allow me to do this. I have tried raising a support ticket with PlusNet, but they "are not trained to an advanced level which is required for this fault" and advised me to create a post here.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: IP Address change on Fibre Router

Hopefully the procedure described in this post will achieve what you require. Note the part about (probably) needing to assign a static IP on your PC so you can communicate with the router after you change its IP address.
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The router has a second IP interface 10.0.0.138/24. You should find you can browse to the GUI using http://10.0.0.138
Assuming you can then theoretically you'd need to navigate to:
Home Network > Interfaces > Local Network > Configure
And add a new DHCP pool as follows:
Start address: 10.0.0.10
End address: 10.0.0.137
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Server: 10.0.0.138
Gateway: 10.0.0.138
Untick 'Always give same address to DHCP clients' and set the lease time to a day.
Once you've done this I would suggest you explicitly configure your network adapter to connect using the 10.0.0.x subnet. This should stop you losing connectivity to the router when you remove the 192.168.1.254/24 subnet.

Once you've done that, make sure you can access the router using http://10.0.0.138 and delete the 192.168.1.254/24 subnet and 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253 DHCP pool.
Finally, flip back to using DHCP by removing the explicit network adapter settings:

With a bit of luck, a connection should be re-established to the router automatically with a local IP in the 10.0.0.x range and the default gateway as http://10.0.0.138
Worth noting, I've never actually tried this. I've just had a quick glance at the router interface and noted what I would do if I was trying to achieve the same. I'm also using a TG799vn v2 rather than a TG582n, I'm guessing the GUI's the same though.
If worse comes to worse and you lock yourself out of the router then you can always carry out a factory reset using the switch at the back and start again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

My issue is the default subnet is 192.168.1.x which is conflicting with my work environment once I launch VPN. I have spoken with our IT department and they have informed me to change the subnet away from 192.168.1.x,

TBH having a subnet of 192.168.1.x on the local network is really bad planning for an IT department where they provide facilities for users to have VPN access.
We identified this as a potential problem a long time ago and so our office local subnet is completely different from any that are likely to be used on remote users routers. In your case either of the methods above should work and will solve the problem of VPN access from your home PlusNet connection.
What happens when you are away from home, say using a friends or relatives network or a hotel network which happens to have a local subnet of 192.168.1.x ?Huh
You will have exactly the same problem and VPN will not be usable and you won't have the ability to change the subnet. I'd suggest your IT people have a think about changing their local subnet....

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cypher

Thank you Bob, your solution worked and i have now changed the address.
MisterW, I mentioned this (didn't go down well), the IT manager give me a 10 minute lecture about the reasons for not changing, something to do with vlans over all our sites.
All - Thank you for your help and assistance.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You mean he blinded you with science to cover up for the fact that a bad decision was made when it was all set up in the first place!
I suggest you tell him that he needs to contact all the UK ISPs to tell them that they shouldn't set up their users on the 192.168.1.0 subnet!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)