cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP IDLE on self hosted server - Technicolor FTTC router issues?

deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

IMAP IDLE on self hosted server - Technicolor FTTC router issues?

Just trying to track some issues down since I got FTTC and the Technicolor router (TG582n I think?)
I run a private mail server on my NAS and connect to it from various devices at home and outside via IMAP. However I'm having problems particularly with K9 Mail on my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S2). It initially connects and recevies mail but then no longer receives any push mail and I have to manually force a poll or set the phone to poll for mail.
It's configured for IMAP and PUSH (IMAP IDLE) and was working fine until recently and I'm wondering if it's the new router causing problems. Port forwarding is fine, and I can manually telnet on port 143 issue commands and even start the IDLE session fine.
I wonder if the router is dropping the connection before K9 has a chance to refresh the IDLE connection and it stops the push session. Some kind of timeout.
Is this something known about or is there a known way to tweak a timeout for IMAP on the router.
It could be something else at fault though, like K9 perhaps had an update and no longer works or similar with the mail software on my NAS. As I say I'm trying to track it down.
3 REPLIES 3
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Technicolor FTTC router and hosting mail server - Possible IMAP IDLE issues

You could check if it's the routers intrusion detection system causing the problem.
As a test try the following telnet commands to disable IDS:
ids config state=disabled
saveall
To re-enable:
ids config state=enabled
saveall
TBag
Grafter

@deadkenny
I run mail server on my NAS, and I have a Nexus 4, my daughter has samsung s2. I use IMAP push, and have no problems whatsoever. The only thing I vaguely remember is that I had a delay problem with K9, so changed to Kaiten mail, and it rocked. Recent update to kaiten has taken it a step back, and now I have AquaMail. It really is brilliant. I'd suggest trying either Kaiten or Aqua.
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks, I'll check the IDS settings out later when I've got access to the router
I'll have a look at the other apps. I've just done some other tests and I'm also not getting push with my plusnet email account (also configured IMAP). I don't really use it but it's there as a backup.
However, mails to gmail (again IMAP configured in K9)... coming through fine as push mail.
I tried changing the IDLE refresh times in K9 also to much shorter but seems no difference.
Other thought is on the phone it's maybe an issue with the operator (EE) and/or things that timeout, get disrupted or blocked when on 3G. Using this at work and no wifi access so it sits on 3G all day (killing the battery like crazy!), but it's odd it was working before.
Edit:Actually, Plusnet does sync, just it seems delayed a fair bit. My own server doesn't sync at all though now. Have double checked my account settings to ensure syncing is enabled. Think it may be a combination of things, though have just been reading there have been issues with K9 and IMAP IDLE and some servers (fyi - my server is powered by dovecot, which is pretty standard and always found it to be very reliable).