Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE7 won't connect

ianrw
Dabbler

IE7 won't connect

Hi
I only use IE if I have to, but though it used to connect OK, now it doesn't - I just get:
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

There's nothing wrong with the connection using other browsers.
I changed my account recently to one with a wireless router and have read that this can cause problems. However I have not seen here or elsewhere any solution to the problem - other than reverting to IE6 (but from the recent Newsletter Microsoft seem to want to prevent that).
Ideas welcome.

5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: IE7 won't connect

Hi there,
If you have a look in Tools -> internet options -> Connections, make sure that the option to never dial a connection is ticked. It might also be worth checking the 'LAN settings' button - I believe by default nothing is ticked in this window.
If that doesn't work then try removing all temporary files, cookies etc.
Hope that helps, please let us know,
scrash
Dabbler

If you follow the instructions on microsoft's website, you should be able to sort the problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431
I've taken a few calls, since IE7 was forced onto us, with the same symptoms. Every issue was sorted by <Method 2> on that help page. Basically, it seems that once IE7 is installed, it somehow manages to assign a private IP address (169.x.x.x) to the NIC, instead of one assigned by a router's DHCP (192.x.x.x)
Hope this was of some help to somebody.
ianrw
Dabbler

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions, but so far no luck:
If you have a look in Tools -> internet options -> Connections, make sure that the option to never dial a connection is ticked. It might also be worth checking the 'LAN settings' button - I believe by default nothing is ticked in this window.
The settings were already OK
If that doesn't work then try removing all temporary files, cookies etc.
Did that, but no difference.
If you follow the instructions on microsoft's website, you should be able to sort the problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431

I've taken a few calls, since IE7 was forced onto us, with the same symptoms. Every issue was sorted by <Method 2> on that help page.
The network diagnostic shows the connection is OK and just offers simple advice to refresh and check spelling - no IP Address is given so I can't use Advanced Method 2.
I've tried the router reset and may look at safe mode, disabling security, checking services, etc when I have the time to spare. However, the thought occurs that I've started using AVG anti-virus fairly recently and I wonder if there's any history of conflict with IE7 at all.
Back to Opera and Firefox to get on with life!
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

IE7 & 6 working fine here with AVG  Smiley
Do you have a software firewall? If so, try disabling that and see if you get it going.
Try setting IE back to default config via the various default buttons on the internet Options pages. Especially the security, privacy and advanced tabs
ianrw
Dabbler

Do you have a software firewall? If so, try disabling that and see if you get it going.
I do and it was blocking IE!! Changed the setting and all seems fine.
Don't know why it blocked when it didn't used to or why I got no message asking if I wanted to give access- but at least it works now.
Thanks to all.