cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE problem on Win 8

penneck
Aspiring Pro

IE problem on Win 8

Now that my accessing my router problem has been fixed, I can now move on to the problem I was really trying to solve - getting IE on a Win 8 laptop to work.
I am trying to fix a friend's laptop. She said it wont talk to the web any more so I tried connecting it to my home network via the wireless link - which is where the problem of accessing my router started. I had to add her laptop to the list of equipment on the router that had access privileges on my network.
Now that the router list has been edited, her pc is on the list, and I can ping the other pcs from her laptop. However, if I try to use IE on it, it just goes into a permanent "waiting for" state. Her laptop Internet Connection in Control Panel is set to "http://toshiba13.msn.com". I have changed that temporarily to "www.google.co.uk", (and I have Applied it) but either way, I just get a message "waiting for... " then the message either finishes "Toshiba13" or "google", whichever is set. Then it just sits there and does nothing until I close the IE window.
I haven't got her recovery disks, and I'm not sure what to do from this point anyway. I'm a bit wary of just ploughing on in case I do more damage. This is the first time I've seen Win 8, and I've only been on Win 7 for 2 or 3 months, so I don't know how much it is different from XP which I used a lot. There seem to be name differences for what are in effect the same thing, but who knows what the differences are.
Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions how to fix my friend's laptop I'd be grateful to be told of them
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: IE problem on Win 8

Try Firefox or even Chrome since IE is rubbish.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I'm supposed to be repairing it, not modifying it
VileReynard
Hero

Clearly the delay is caused by a DNS lookup failure.
Does
ping google.com
give any sensible response?
(You will need access to a command entry screen). Cheesy

penneck
Aspiring Pro

tried this - 1st pass timed out, the other three were 'General Failures'
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: penneck
There seem to be name differences for what are in effect the same thing, but who knows what the differences are.

Windows 8 is like a clumsy version of Windows 7.  Any name differences I can think of are just name differences.
If there is a DNS problem then it must be confined to the laptop which means it must be set on the laptop.  It could be set in the properties of the wireless adaptor or there might be some virus-driven override.  ipconfig /all from a CMD window should tell you what DNS servers the computer thinks it is using and this should point at the IP address of your router.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

When I run ipconfig /all, it does point at 192.168.0.1 (DHCP Server)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

You should see something like this (I have highlighted the DNS entry):
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
  Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
  Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
  Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::98cb:18bf:cfbc:a2fa%25(Preferred)
  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.20(Preferred)
  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
  Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 20 July 2014 19:59:39
  Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 24 July 2014 16:25:08
  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
  DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
  DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 167781204
  DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-13-00-0C-44-00-23-54-C6-CE-81 
  DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
  NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Ipconfig /all does include "DNS Servers  192.168.0.1"
Someone at work told me about resetting winsock, but according to Microsoft you need to be logged in at Administrator level. Neither I nor my friend know how to that. The way that the laptop starts up it goes straight into her account, so I tried running the winsock reset process. That failed - the laptop said I needed to be in as Administrator.
So, any ideas how I get to that?
I have to give up on this in about an hour, and return the pc to its owner, as I'm going to be a way for a couple of weeks, so help is needed urgently please.
Thanks
Kevin
Rising Star

If you are running the Winsock reset command in a DOS cmd window, then first click the Start "world" icon, type cmd in the search box, at the top of the list should be the Programs (1) cmd. Right click on this CMD and choose "Run as Administrator".
Kevin.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Kevin. Its amazing how different the Win 8 is on this laptop compared to what is described in "repair processes" on google. However, I followed your instructions, got in as administrator, and managed to run winsock reset as per Microsoft's instructions. It hasn't done any good. The best I can do is ping the other equipments on my home network. I cannot ping to the outside world, so I'm defeated by this.
Thanks to everyone for your help, but I'm going to have to return the laptop to my friend, and leave it to her to find someone else to have a go
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

What kind of router do you have it connected to? If it's a Plusnet supplied Thomson router it's on a different subnet, which implies that the TCP/IP properties are set to use a specific IP address instead of DHCP, or obtain IP address automatically.
On the other hand, you may be using a Netgear router...  Cool
frank39
Grafter

If the problem has always existed on your friend's laptop, it may be another manifestation of this issue:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,127630.msg1109726.html#msg1109726
If you're not using Win8.1 and/or a Technicolor router, then please ignore this reply.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Jaggies
...On the other hand, you may be using a Netgear router...  Cool

That's indeed what penneck said here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,129547.msg1127054.html#msg1127054
VileReynard
Hero

But you can change the subnet on a Netgear router.