cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want my static IP to be configured on one of my computers

sukeshn
Dabbler

I want my static IP to be configured on one of my computers

I've just had my broadband connection activated and ordered a static IP.
I require the static IP to be configured on my home computer instead so it can act my my internet gateway. I'm using the router supplied by plusnet.
Is this possible with the plusnet router?  I used to be with bethere & they supply the same router but it was possible to put that into bridging mode so another mahcine would get the static IP. I don't see that option here. Is there a way forward?
The static IP i got has a netmask of 255.255.255.255 which doesnt make any sense? What is the real netmask? What is the gateway address?

22 REPLIES 22
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: I want my static IP to be configured on one of my computers

Hi there,
Yes it is though it needs to be done via telnet and the router's CLI: http://npr.me.uk/nbridge.html (thanks npr!)
That is the correct netmask - it's only a single IP out of the subnet of 256 (256-1=255 Smiley ), and should work fine. The gateway should be dynamic as that'll be assigned when you connect (you could probably put in one of our gateway IPs if you wanted, but then each time you reconnected you'd have to wait to connect until you hit that specific gateway, out of around possibly 140 individual IPs).
Hope that helps.
sukeshn
Dabbler

Ok so assuming this works, how do I configure the interface on the computer ? Just set it to dhcp & it will get the static IP? With BeThere I had to configure the static IP details on computer and the router acted as a bridge to get the connection
adie:quote
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Leave it as DHCP, you just have a reserved IP address on your account.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Ok so assuming this works, how do I configure the interface on the computer ? Just set it to dhcp & it will get the static IP? With BeThere I had to configure the static IP details on computer and the router acted as a bridge to get the connection
The bridge mode referred to in Matt's link will effectively turn the router into an ADSL modem. You will need to configure the interface on the computer to make a PPPoE connection using your PlusNet username/password. This will then get your allocated static IP address when the connection is made.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sukeshn
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
Hi there,
Yes it is though it needs to be done via telnet and the router's CLI: http://npr.me.uk/nbridge.html (thanks npr!)
That is the correct netmask - it's only a single IP out of the subnet of 256 (256-1=255 Smiley ), and should work fine. The gateway should be dynamic as that'll be assigned when you connect (you could probably put in one of our gateway IPs if you wanted, but then each time you reconnected you'd have to wait to connect until you hit that specific gateway, out of around possibly 140 individual IPs).
Hope that helps.

Having a few problems getting the commands to work via telnet:
{admin}=>ppp relay flush
{admin}=>ppp flush
{admin}=>eth flush
{admin}=>atm flush
{admin}=>atm phonebook flush
{admin}=>atm phonebook add name_pvc_internet
{admin}=>atm ifadd intf=atm_Internet
{admin}=>atm ifconfig intf=atm_Internet dest=pvc_Internet ulp=mac encaps=vcmux
Invalid address specified.
Bad value for parameter 'dest pvc_Internet'
Unknown command.
{admin}=>:atm ifconfig intf=atm_Internet dest=pvc_Internet ulp=mac encaps=vcmux
Invalid address specified.
Bad value for parameter 'dest pvc_Internet'
Unknown command.

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

The underscore '_' between name and pvc should be equals sign.
Like this:
atm phonebook add name=pvc_internet
That's RPM to you!!
sukeshn
Dabbler

OK I've entered all the commands without any error &  restarted the modem.
But it fails to work. Tried adding a PPPoE connection from windows and linux neither are able to get an IP.
Which port should the computer be plugged into? I've tried ports 1 and 4 no joy with either.
This is really disappointing from Plusnet, I was assured before I bought their service this was possible to do and I  wasn't expecting  it to be anywhere near this difficult, dont think I can even cancel now. Sad
Has anyone ever tried these commands and are they supposed to work?
krs360
Grafter

I use my Raspberry PI to make the PPPOE connection with the Thomson router in Bridge mode.
Please be aware by having the router in bridge mode you stop the firewall (basically the Thomson router just acts as the adsl concentrator).
I put a guide on my website http://www.benjaminphillips.me
Anonymous
Not applicable

To achieve what you want with the minimum hassle, you could simply plug in a DrayTek Vigor 120 ADSL Ethernet Modem.
The Vigor 120 requires NO configuration AT ALL  :),
You just need to set your PC to connect in PPPoE mode, specifying your username and password. JOB DONE !  Cool
It also happens to be a VERY good ADSL modem  Wink
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

except you need to put in your username and password etc
Anonymous
Not applicable

? err, what are you talking about ?
Quote from: purleigh
You just need to set your PC to connect in PPPoE mode, specifying your username and password. JOB DONE !   Cool

You don't need to do ANYTHING to the Vigor 120 modem !  Crazy
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Embarrassed Embarrassed must go to specsavers as I could have sworn it didn't say that before  Sad
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps you need to go to a different optician, as Specsavers don't seem to be getting your prescription right !  Grin
I would suggest having the alzheimer's checked as well, but you wouldn't remember to go  Cheesy
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is unkind - I would have you know that I put all my appointments in Outlook with the necessary alerts  Lips_are_sealed