cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’ve noticed a pattern to my problem.

James
Grafter

Re: I’ve noticed a pattern to my problem.

Apparently it's on by default and apparently we can't get it changed.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I did have my glasses on when I was reading the stats?
Edit:
In view of James's last post Jessica, trying another router is going to be the only way to clarify this. Yes we know it should be on by default James, the question is, is it? I suppose we all (most of us) were believing the stats that say it's off. Let's see what another router says first, before taking it further.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Always good to eliminate Red Herrings  Grin
Anotherone
Champion

I suppose that the lesson learnt from this is not to blindly believe ANY router stats that are out of the ordinary, without checking with another router. We all know that SNRM and attenutation etc figures can vary between routers, but the assumption that something as basic as this is being possibly mis-reportered was never a thought. But now it may be almost obvious that if the router thinks Trellis if Off and it is actually still On, no wonder there are periodic significant errors and loss of sync Embarrassed
maranello
Pro

A search through these forums on 'trellis' shows some variability in terms of router stats (ON, Enabled, OFF)
What is 'trellis', how does it affect the broadband connection, and what is the recommended setting?
My router (Voyager 210) reports it as Off (these stats are not recent)
Line Mode G.DMT  Line State Show Time 
Latency Type Interleave  Line Up Time 00:00:03:39 
Line Coding Trellis Off  Line Up Count 1 

Statistics Downstream Upstream 
Line Rate 768 Kbps 448 Kbps 
Noise Margin 6.4 dB 14.0 dB 
Line Attenuation 63.0 dB 31.5 dB 
Output Power 15.0 dBm 11.9 dBm
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Anotherone
Champion

James
Grafter

Could it be a modem/router reporting error?
Anotherone
Champion

My post #93. (Have you been playing pool again?)
Edit: My Voyager210 reports- Line Coding Trellis On and always has.
maranello
Pro

@Anotherone
So if my 210 reports Trellis is Off, and yours reports Trellis is On, what could account for the difference
1. Firmware?
2. Faulty router?
3. Trellis really is off.
Should I test with another 210 (which I can get hold of), or a different make/model?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Jessica
Grafter

I’ve just borrowed a modem from a friend at work.  The modem is a D-Link DSL-300T.  I’ve set it up for Plusnet and it seems to be working OK (so far).
I’ve tried http://192.168.1.1/?todo=debug, but nothing happens with this modem.  Is there another command line I could try?  I’ve tried “telnet 192.168.1.1” but it says incorrect password all the time.  Does any know what the logon name and password should be?
As a result, I can’t do “adslctl info – stats” to see if trellis is ON or OFF.  Is there any other way of finding out about trellis?
Are there any other similar tools to DMT that will work with the D-Link?
My friend also told me to update the firmware for this modem as it a few years old.  Does anyone know what the latest firmware is and where to get it?

James
Grafter

Hi Jessica,
I'd ignore whether Trellis is turned on or off.  See how the connection holds for a couple of days (if you can borrow the modem for that long).  It would be interesting to see if the different modem offer a differening level of stability.  If it does, I'd look at a more long term replacement for your existing router.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Looks like the last (and only?) firmware was in 2004 so you're probably up to date see http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=gNTyP9CnptFMIC4AStFCF834mptYIe5XTNvhLPG3yV3oVox8kP98f8p8Nqtk/jsuESvvxSBH9...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks for the link.  Seems this modem is older than I thought.  According to D-Link site, I have the latest firmware version (v1.00B02T02.UK 20040618) which is now four years old.
Is there any program I can run (like DMT) to monitor my connection with the D-Link.
MickKi
Grafter

Hi again,  bring up a console as I suggested before and try telnet 192.168.1.1
Then use admin/admin if it asks for username/password.  If that doesn't work try root/password.
If it doesn't work at all try a different address:  telnet 192.168.0.1
If you cannot telnet into the modem, don't worry, just tick the box that said special connection on the DMT and try all of the above IP addresses and usernames/passwords.  If none of the work, then just sit tight and let's watch if it loses sync overnight.
Not sure how much you can expect out of this modem (it wasn't the best thing to hold onto a DSL line even back then), but if it holds the line and yours we know doesn't, then we have isolated the (hopefully only) cause of failure.
If DMT-Tools doesn't work, then there are other tools like DMT-Tools, but I am not sure that they work with this modem.  Check their respective webpages for details:
http://www.routertech.org/viewtopic.php?t=1501 ; and http://www.neolics.com/index.php?s=software&p=1
http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
If your own modem is proven faulty then this may answer the trellis thing being reported erroneously(?) as off.
One more thing:  Can you click on relevant tabs in DMT from the results for your own modem and post back the graph that shows the SNRM fluctuations and the sync speed over time.  Your stats showed a total of 26 errored seconds, but they also showed no Loss of Signal and no Loss of Frames.  Given that you had a lower sync speed in the morning this is all a tad strange.  I would have expected that your router dropped the signal when the errors went up and it resync'ed at a lower speed (probably as a result of the BT exchange raising your SNRM to stabilise the line).  At this moment my money is on a dodgy router as I originally suggested . . .
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks MickKi,
None of the monitoring software you suggested worked with the D-Link.
I’m still synced at 7616 but I have to wait 3 - 4 days for my profile to go from 5500 to 6500.
Something strange – I’ve had this modem running for 5 hours but it reports that it’s been running for 51,108 hours.