cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’ve noticed a pattern to my problem.

MickKi
Grafter

Re: I’ve noticed a pattern to my problem.

Quote from: Jessica
Hi MickKi,
Thanks for being there.  Plusnet must have given up on me.

Ha!  You're welcome - there's nothing on the telly anyway.  Wink
I’ve got the right version of DMT.  Used admin/admin for logon and password.  I still get the same error message.  Although, when I click on the ‘Aktivieren’ button, it says on the bottom of the screen “Automatic DSL-Monitoring is activated”.  But, when I click on the ‘Connect’ button, it make a funny noise then the error message.

OK, I have two small problems here which means that I may not be able to help you troubleshoot this directly:  a)I do not have your router to be able to connect to it and b)I do not have MSWindows to install DMT-Tool and see what it does/need . . .  With regards to the ‘Aktivieren’ button, did you install it in English?  Otherwise, uninstall and reinstall as described here.
You could perhaps try to search/post in the DMT-Tool forums and, or try to post here as quite a few people use it and should be more experienced with it.
I get this far:-
BusyBox v1.00 (2006.09.20-01:51+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
# adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Status: Showtime  Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 7616 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:                    G.DMT
Channel:                Interleave
Trellis:                    OFF
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:      Showtime
                        Down            Up
SNR (dB):                14.9            23.0
Attn(dB):          17.0            10.0
Pwr(dBm):                19.7            11.9
Max(Kbps):      8192            1076
Rate (Kbps):    7616            448

This is a beauty!  It works.   Cheesy  So, all we need to nail now is the DMT-tool connection.  Otherwise your SNR (whether it is actually reporting 'SNR margin' or 'SNR') is high.  That'll give a lower connection speed.  With the DMT tool you can lower it to 6dB.  Also I would think that trellis should be on (it makes the connection more fault tolerant) - perhaps Plusnet can comment on this.
EDIT:  I must get faster with posting - Anotherone beat me to it again!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have the Aktivieren button and mine is English (mostly ;D).
Have you tried ticking the "special logon"? I use that for my DG834GT (with port 23).
I'm now only using DMT for monitoring as I'm on a 3dB profile at the exchange:
MickKi
Grafter

Interesting!  What does "special logon" do?
HPsauce
Pro

Can't recall offhand, I think it uses http maybe?
See attached snapshot....
Jessica
Grafter

MickKi…
All I had to do was tick the box that said ‘Special Logon’,  (thanks HPSauce).  It now works just fine with my WAG54GS.  Now what do I do?
MickKi
Grafter

Sit back and wait.  Overnight, or tomorrow (or whenever a disconnection occurs) the graphs will show what happens to your line's noise margin and sync speed.  The pattern (as the title of your thread says) will be clearer for us to determine what's causing the problem.
I noticed from your graph that your sync speed is high and that your Noise Margin is now even higher!  If you look under Special I think you will find an option for altering your Noise Margin to the default value of 6dB.  (Before you experiment with this you need to consider that with a lower SNRM your line may become unstable.  A higher SNRM is the DLMs way of stabilising an unstable connection.  This could be because you resync'ed too often or because your router has been bobbing up & down.)
Jessica
Grafter

Which figure is my noise margin?
Under 'Special' there's 'Debug', 'Diagnose', 'Misc. Options' and 'DMT Server'.  I've clicked on them all and the only one that works is Debug.  Nothing happens when I select any of the others.
Do I have to leave the computer on as well as the modem?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The SNRM is the noise margin. I still think you should get Trellis ON. You might find that SNRM changes. No you don't have to leave the computer on, just the modem.
Well done MickKi, I knew you be able to point Jessica in the right direction.
Edit: To correct comment about SNRM. There is in essence nothing wrong with you SNRM as you are syncing at 7616
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.  So how do I turn trellis ON?
There's nothing about altering noise margins under settings. (see pic)
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, you'd need to look in the manual (or perhaps Mick could as he has a copy), I don't know the router, but it wouldn't be with the DMT tool AFAIK, you need to log in to the router.
HPsauce
Pro

SNRM tweaking - Special, Misc Options, tick Unlock experimental area, Save/Close.
You can then go to the 5th unlabelled tab and adjust the noise margin.
Try small amounts first and let it run for some time if you do to check reliability/errors.
If your SNRM is 6dB, 50% will try for 3dB.
But you're already on 7616 which I think is the fastest for interleaved so it probably won't do anything. You should ask PN to turn off interleaving first.
Anotherone
Champion

Beat me to it HP while I was making coffee Tongue
Corrected my earlier post as sync is as you said at 7616, so I wouldn't recommend changing SNRM target until the connection seems stable. Need to get this Trellis sorted and see what happens then.
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks, I found it.  Can I switch trellis on here?  Or is it something Plusnet has to do? 
Anotherone
Champion

Darn it, I must be getting tired Embarrassed . I was looking at my DMT for it, as I thought I'd seen it, even looked on that tab Embarrassed Embarrassed
I'd don't know is the honest answer, try it and see what happens, you can always change it back again if you can't connect or there is other problems.
Best of luck. I'll make a coffee  and wait for you to post back what happens.
Edit: I've just noticed Mark Kelly is online , perhaps he can advise on this Trellis setting.
Jessica
Grafter

OK, I switched trellis on.  Clicked on the 'DSL Resync' button - and nothing!  What was supposed to happen?