Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’ve noticed a pattern to my problem.

Jessica
Grafter

I’ve noticed a pattern to my problem.

I’ve noticed a pattern to this…
For the past couple of weeks, I’ve noticed a slowing down.
Every Friday evening (between 7.30pm and mid-night), when I attempt to go online, I get no connection at all.  No matter what I do, I just can’t get online.  I have to switch my modem off and then on again, to get connected.  I then notice that everything is slower.  I check my sync speed (usually 7616) and that’s anywhere between 7200 and 7450ish.  I then check my IP profile and that has dropped to 6000 (on one occasion to 5500) (usually 6500).
Then late Sunday night my sync goes back to 7616 but my IP profile doesn’t get back to 6500 until Wednesday night/Thursday morning.  Friday evening, it all starts over again.
Do you think I have a problem with my modem (Linksys Wireless WAG54GS v1.1)?

115 REPLIES 115
Denzil
Grafter

Re: I’ve noticed a pattern to my problem.

Possibly, but I would suggest it is more likely to be some regular event in your area that is causing a disconnection. Neighbours doing regular big downloads, street lights, central heating timers, fluorescent lights and many other things could be causing interference when they are switched on. This kind of thing can be very difficult to track down.
Also, is your wireless fully secured? You should be using WPA encryption. If you are not using the wireless, turn it off.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: Jessica
Every Friday evening (between 7.30pm and mid-night), when I attempt to go online, I get no connection at all.  No matter what I do, I just can’t get online.  I have to switch my modem off and then on again, to get connected.

This behaviour looks like it's related to your modem/router.  Rebooting it get's you back online because whatever state of 'suspended animation' it was stuck on is reset.  This is likely a KeepAlive problem (check further down about Linksys firmware).
However, it would be good to have some more info on this.  How do you try to get online (e.g. turning on your computer)?  Can you get an IP address from your router?  Can you login in the router admin GUI and what status does it report connection-wise?  What do your router statistics show?
I know that you have noticed a pattern with regards to days in the week.  Is there a pattern in terms of router uptime, i.e. it gets worse the longer it stays online, irrespective of day in the week?  Is there a pattern in terms of weather?
If another (borrowed) router resolves these connection problems you'll know that the problem lies with your current router of course.
Linksys firmware are not always the best.  Many 3rd party Linux firmware were developed as Open Source images (like DD_WRT, FreeWRT and tomato) but your model is not reported as being compatible, or incompatible.  Searching different firmwares' hardware compatibility lists could get you somewhere, but be very careful because flashing it with an unsuitable image could well leave you with a brick and no means of getting back a usable device.  All of the above assumes that you have already flashed your router with the latest OEM firmware version 1.01.03, which addresses previous KeepAlive problems: Linksys firmware downloads.
Hope this helps.  Smiley
Jessica
Grafter

Looks like I’m stuck with it.  Trying to find the answer to a problem like that is impossible.  It could be anything.  I will try a different modem though.  Can anyone recommend a good one?  I don’t need anything wireless, just something reliable.
I still don’t understand why my IP profile drops in a minute, but takes 3 – 4 days to go back up.  It supposed to be checked twice a day…
Thanks  for the replies.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The answer is very simple - BT designed the automatic system to be as awkward as possible and PlusNet only look at the BT IP speed which is what takes 3 days to go back up and 2 secs to go down.  Grin
Jessica
Grafter

Wouldn't be nice if it took 3 - 4 days to go down and 2 seconds to go back up again.  Smiley
When I signed up with Plusnet, I was something about a free modem on signing.  Can I still get the free modem with Plusnet or is it too late?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one of the conditions for a free modem was that your "Agreed" to a years use, if you bottled out early you would have to pay for it.  James seems to be able to get one for you recently Ask again tomorrow daytime
MickKi
Grafter

I think that the free modem offer ties you into a longer contract period.
Have a look at ebay for some cheap pickings.  Routers which reportedly perform better than your average Netgear are:
1. Thomson Speedtouch 585v6
2. 2WIRE 1800HG (soon to be obsolete with ADSL2+), or 2700HGV (ADSL2+ compatible).
3. Billion Bipac 5200G (or if you just want an ADSL2+ modem, which you can use with your current wireless router check out BiPAC 5200SM).
PS.  From reading different forums I have concluded that the modems used in the above devices have the best chipsets for dealing with long/noisy lines.  Othes may have different views, or product experience.
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks Guys,
Thanks for the informative replies.  Nice to know someone cares..
I’ll try and sort something out tomorrow.  I’m off to bed now, it’s late.
Cheers,
Jessica

MickKi
Grafter

Did you check your router's firmware version?  Is it on version 1.01.03?  If not upgrade it with the latest version and see if the problem persists.
Jessica
Grafter

Hi MickKi,
Just visited the Linksys site and it seems that I already have the latest version of firmware.  On the support site, there are updates for v1.0 to v1.01.03.  I already have version v1.1.
At the moment I’m waiting for my IP profile to return to 6500.  It’s been stuck at 6000 since last Friday even though I’m synced at 7616.
I’ll probably buy another modem to try.  I need a spare one anyway.
Cheers.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: Jessica
On the support site, there are updates for v1.0 to v1.01.03.  I already have version v1.1.

I think you are confusing the PC (MS Windows) driver that runs a wizard to configure your modem, with the actual firmware of the modem itself.  If you login to the modem GUI with your browser it will show somewhere what the firmware version is.  If it is version 1.0 then you will need to update it using the browser GUI to version 1.01.03, which is a 3.01MB download.
I suspect that this will cure these dropouts that you mention.  Please ask if the above is not clear...
Jessica
Grafter

Silly me!
Thanks MickKi,
I looked under the bottom of the modem for the version number.  Of course, that’s the modem version number, not the firmware version number.  The firmware was v1.00.08.  I’ve now updated to v1.01.03.  The only problem I have now is that the ‘Secure Easy Setup™’ light is on all the time.  It doesn’t go out.  It’s a bit annoying.
As for my other problems, well, I don’t know yet.  I’m still waiting for my IP profile to return to 6500.  It’s still at 6000.  Has been for days now.
Any idea what my ‘DSL Modulation’ should be set at?  It say in the manual to contact your ISP to find out.
Many thanks.
Jessica

James
Grafter

Hi Jessica,
You need to use g.dmt.
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks James.