cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think BT have provisioned 2 of my accounts the wrong way around!

jschlackman
Dabbler

I think BT have provisioned 2 of my accounts the wrong way around!

On the 19th November I signed up two Small Business accounts at two properties next door to one another. They were both activated the same day (26th November) but I've only recently gotten around to setting up the equipment. I installed the last modem today, and so when reviewing the account for that property I was astonished to find that there was significant VMBU usage for the previous day, and indeed the previous week once I checked. I then checked the other account, and lo and behold, found the VMBU usage started today. Using the static IP detailed in each account, I then logged into the routers remotely and checked the internal IP addresses to check I wasn't going crazy.
The accounts are set up the wrong way around. Account A is the broadband for property B, and account B is the broadband for property A.
I've double checked the signup confirmation emails and I entered the phone numbers correctly. It's not the end of the world - everything appears to work, even though I'm using the 'wrong' usernames to authenticate the PPPoA - but it will make things pretty confusing every time I need to manage the accounts given that the account usernames have the house number in them.
Is there anything that can be done about this? Are there any consequences of this mixup that I haven't thought of?
12 REPLIES 12
Assos
Grafter

Re: I think BT have provisioned 2 of my accounts the wrong way around!

Can't you just swap the usernames around presuming they are both on the same realm?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

The usage is tied to the username rather than the phone number. So when you when you saw usage in VMBU for the previous day, that particular username would have been logged on but it wouldn't necessarily be on the phone number of that account as broadband doesn't authenticate against the phone number.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
jschlackman
Dabbler

dave,
If I'm reading what you've said right, and you're saying that the broadband authenticates against the username and VMBU shows the usage for that username, then that just doesn't tally with my observations. The username associated with account A was never used to authenticate any broadband connection until yesterday, yet it has usage going back to last week. That also doesn't explain why the static IP addresses on each account route to the wrong properties despite having what I see as the correct username (i.e., username matching property number) entered on each property's router.

Assos, yes I could just swap the usernames around, it's just annoying because as I said they include the street numbers of the properties to help me remember which is which. I'm also worried something else is going on here that might trip me up later.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I'd be really surprised if this had happened because when you place an order, we merely send the data that you have given us straight through to BT.  There's not any room for human error on our or their part.
Is there any chance that you could have got the telephone numbers mixed up when you placed the orders?  I'm not saying that BT won't be at fault here, but it's unlikely.
Usage *is* connected to your username.
jschlackman
Dabbler

I am double checking the phones numbers with my client this morning but they are the same numbers I've been using to call the properties for the last 5 years so I can't believe I've suddenly swapped two of them around on my records. The signup emails confirm I entered the right phone number for each account.
If account usage is tied to username then I have a very serious problem with someone else using the account in question. Can you confirm this is absolutely the case before I start jumping through hoops changing passwords (passwords which have never been used before a few weeks ago, or used anywhere but with Plusnet). If I PM someone the username would you be able to throw any light on where this mystery logon is occurring?
James
Grafter

Unfortunately not.
We're unable to see the Geographic location of where the connection is being established from.
This is not something new.  This has always been the case and other ISPs will also perform similar ways of recording usage.
jschlackman
Dabbler

OK, I've checked with my client and the phone numbers I entered at signup, as shown in the signup confirmation emails, are correct for each property.
I plan to change the passwords later today as a precaution. However, while unauthorized use of the account username might explain the erroneous VMBU data, it does not explain why the static IP addresses for each account are routing to the wrong property. Can anyone explain how that could be happening?
James
Grafter

Static IP addresses are also connected to the username Smiley
jschlackman
Dabbler

That does not explain the problem. Let me reiterate:
  • Property A has the username for Account A entered on the router.
  • Property B has the username for Account B entered on the router.
  • When I remotely connect to the static IP listed under account A, I am connected to Property B's router.
  • When I remotely connect to the static IP listed under account B, I am connected to Property A's router.
    According to your explanation of how the system works, this should not be happening. Nonetheless, it is happening. Do you see why I'm confused here?
  • jschlackman
    Dabbler

I have just finished rebooting both routers at the properties, without changing any settings, and in defiance of all rational explanation they are now connected with the correct public IPs.
    I'm not sure whether I'm more confused or less.
    prichardson
    Grafter

I would say just as confused, however I can catagorically gurantee that what you are seeing was neither a BT issue or a PlusNet one.
    What you are seeing is only possible when your modem is using the wrong username.
    Now, I would agree there is the potential for our system to make a mistake and assign the wrong IP at authentication. We have had problems in the past that cause this.
    However, the chances of it being the IP for the second account are almost non-existent.
    It's technically feasable, but law of averages says I am winning the lottery tonight.
    amcclean
    Rising Star

In both properties are you accessing wirelessly or via a wired connection. Could it be that your using the wrong wireless connections in each property. If they are next to each other it might be possible.
    A