Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I suddenly only get internet when plugged direct into test socket

FIXED
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: I suddenly only get internet when plugged direct into test socket

@dazpiece No problem at all, especially as you don't have a phone connected. Just make sure the other half doesn't go cleaning in that area 😀

John
dazpiece
Dabbler

@jab1 and @RichardB

Thank you both so much for your help!
CliveRM

Only just seen your articles.

The best solution is to get a new master jack and check the wiring. Always better to go from socket to skt to skt daisy chain than to allow a 'star' formation going from one skt to two or more others.

This because, like radio waves, internet signals can bounce around the star causing signal echos.

Any even slightly damaged wires should be replaced. Unused skts disconnected. Get it nice n tidy. Don't mess about.

If you can't get a master, use an ordinary PRIMARY jack.

Regards

jab1
Legend

@CliveRM The OP only has a single socket, and the problem is most likely, as @RichardB said, a failed filter in the Mk.4 faceplate - the early ones, especially, are known for it.

John
dazpiece
Dabbler

@jab1 @RichardB

Ordered a new socket for a tenner as you both suggested. I replaced just the mk.4 faceplate part and now have a connection again! Thank you both you absolute legends!

Upon comparing the new faceplate with my old one, it looks like the springy metal contacts inside the broadband slot of my old faceplate are no good, as 2 of them are depressed, whereas in my new faceplate none of the springy contacts are depressed.
jab1
Legend

@dazpiece I like it when there's an easy solution.😀 Out of curiosity, how old was the socket/faceplate? Obviously not ancient, but I wonder if it was one of the early ones.

John
dazpiece
Dabbler

@jab1 not sure of the exact age but the engineer only installed this particular one around 12 months ago.

Hopefully the one I’ve just bought lasts longer!
jab1
Legend

I hope so too, @dazpiece . Mines somewhat higher up the wall in a 'safe' location, so my only suggestion can be 'avoid knocking it'Wink

John
dazpiece
Dabbler

Yeah, mine is conveniently located in the coldest corner of the house, in the corner where the outside wall and a very cold bay window meet Sad (I rent)