Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I suddenly only get internet when plugged direct into test socket

FIXED
dazpiece
Dabbler

I suddenly only get internet when plugged direct into test socket

EDIT: picture of my current situation https://ibb.co/pQqky9c

Hi, for some reason today my broadband connection went down (router constantly flashing orange with orange broadband light). I took the faceplate off and used an ADSL microfilter to plug directly into the test socket, and the broadband now works. I have a “Master Socket 5C” with OpenReach printed on it.

Can anyone advise why this may be and what’s the best action to take? Will my connection stay stable while in the test socket? I can’t afford to be without internet as me and my partner both rely on it for working from home at the moment.

Thanks for any help, especially if someone from Plusnet could open a case please?
23 REPLIES 23
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: I suddenly only get internet when plugged direct into test socket

Fix

Hi @dazpiece A wild guess here, and I may get corrected, but if you get a connection when the (presumably) Mk.4 faceplate is removed from the equation, then that is possibly the culprit - they have been known to fail. I think you can buy these yourself, but before you do that, try cleaning (gently) any contacts in the faceplate and the socket itself.

John
dazpiece
Dabbler

Hi John,

I’ve just checked and the faceplate does say Mk.4 on the front so your assumption is right! The other half was cleaning the skirting board near the faceplate at the time with a damp cloth, so I’m a little paranoid it could have gotten wet so I’ve currently got the faceplate immersed in a bowl of rice!

If I get no joy there I might look at buying a replacement as you say
jab1
Legend

Keep us informed of progress please.

John
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @dazpiece 

Do you normally plug the router into the master socket or an extension socket?

If you use an extension socket the wiring between the two sockets could be suspect.

If you plug into the master socket, then the master socket faceplate could be faulty.

In either case Openreach will charge for correcting faults with faceplates & internal wiring, the charge will be passed onto you🙁.

However, replacement Openreach 5C master sockets are cheap on ebay 🙂

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-OpenReach-BT-Master-Socket-NTE5C-VDSL-MK4-New-2019-ADSL-FacePlate...

Best of all no tools, other than a screwdriver, are required.

However, before changing the master socket - if you also use a landline phone does it still work?

Is the white wire exiting the top of Openreach 5C the incoming line?

BT incoming lines normally have a black insulation jacket not white.

Are there any other BT sockets between the 5C and the incoming line?

It is not unknown for some DIYer's to install two master sockets and this can affect the broadband...

Regards

Richard

dazpiece
Dabbler

Hi @RichardB

I only have one socket in the house so I assume this is my master socket. So my normal socket looks exactly like the one you linked to on eBay, and I plug into the broadband socket (on the left) on that faceplate. I do not have a landline phone so the phone socket (on the right) is never used.

I’ve had openreach out before for issues with this socket and in the past theyve replaced all wiring and sockets free but did warn about charging in the future.

I believe the white wire is the incoming line as I have no other wires or sockets in this corner or indeed in the house.
RichardB
Seasoned Champion

In that case a new Openreach socket would likely sort out the problem.

There are several installation guides on Youtube , including:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbzIR0UkasU

jab1
Legend

@dazpiece Presumably your line comes into the house somewhere else, and is fed to that socket - my internal cabling from the junction box just inside the back door to my socket is also white.

(cross post with @RichardB )

John
dazpiece
Dabbler

I’ve taken some photos of the contacts on the removed MK.4 faceplate (excuse the nail biting)! There seems to be a bit of corrosion but not sure how salvageable it is or if it’s just this part alone that is the problem or not

https://ibb.co/mBbWtmL
https://ibb.co/Bq2SqjL
https://ibb.co/WnstfPs
dazpiece
Dabbler

@RichardB

Thanks for that video! I’m a little hesitant to go messing with wiring as I’m not the handiest, and also if I mess something up both me and my partner won’t be able to work on Monday if we have no internet.

Possibly a stupid question but I’m wondering if since my direct connection to the test socket is working, could it ever be possible that buying a new faceplate to replace the old one could fix the issue?

And in the meantime, is there any risk or issue in staying connected to the test socket through an ADSL microfilter?
jab1
Legend

Try cleaning those bits as I suggested earlier - might save you a tenner.😉

It is safe to stay connected that way - just not very tidy.

John
RichardB
Seasoned Champion

It could be dirty contacts or it could be a failed filter within the faceplate.

You would also have to check the springy contacts that touch the plug in your picture and the springy contacts in the faceplate that touch the router plug contacts.

TBH as you need the broadband for work, a tenner for new faceplate is worth the money.

and yes it is worth juts plugging in a new face plate onto the existing backplate if you do not want to change the backplate. 

dazpiece
Dabbler

Thanks I’ve just given them all a clean with an alcohol solution so waiting for them to dry, including the springy contacts. I’ve ordered a new master socket and I’ll try replacing just the faceplate first when it arrives Smiley

Thanks for your help everyone, hopefully can avoid missing any work days!

dazpiece
Dabbler

If my internet is working plugged directly into the test socket right now, would there be any problem with leaving it like that until the new faceplate and backplate arrive?

I’m pretty anxious about missing work so I’m half tempted to order a mobile broadband dongle for just a month to ensure we don’t run into trouble as there’s nowhere open here (like a cafe etc) in tier 3 if our internet does go kaput.
RichardB
Seasoned Champion

As @jab1 advised it is perfectly OK to leave the router connected as it is.