cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a WiFi password:

pjbw127
Hooked

I need a WiFi password:

I have my desktop PC ADSL'd with a Plusnet router since 2016.

My new Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet picks up WiFi presumably from this router (Connection GOOD) and prompts for a password.

How do I obtain this password ?

13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: I need a WiFi password:

@pjbw127 Welcome to the forums. This password is the 'wireless key' on the card you received with your router

John
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Your router will have an access password, unless you have changed it yourself for security usually on the back

see here for how to use your router

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The default wifi passwords are either on the back of the router or on a card located on the back of the router.

Take a look here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/ and select which router you have 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjbw127
Hooked

Thank you,
I have 2 passwords on the back of my 2704n router.
There is a "Wi-Fi Password (Key)" and a "Router Password".
I assume that the Wi-Fi password is the one for my new Fire HD 10 tablet but it is not accepted.
Since my router dates from April 2016 could this be extinct ?
 Can I update it ?

jab1
Legend

The Wi-Fi password is the one you need for your Fire. They do not become 'extinct' unless you change them, which I assume you haven't. Note: The password is case sensitive and must be entered exactly as show, All letters are uppercase.

John
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

There should also be an SSID (which is the WiFi networks name) so make sure you're connected to that and not some other WiFi network.

@pjbw127 wrote:

Thank you,
I have 2 passwords on the back of my 2704n router.
There is a "Wi-Fi Password (Key)" and a "Router Password".
I assume that the Wi-Fi password is the one for my new Fire HD 10 tablet but it is not accepted.
Since my router dates from April 2016 could this be extinct ?
 Can I update it ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@pjbw127  are you sure that the Fire is connecting to your wifi and not a neighbours ?

The wifi name (ssid) should also be shown on the router. Make sure that the Fire is connecting to that named wifi.

edit: i hate the fact that lithium doesnt tell you someone else has posted while you were typing!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I haven't seen a recent Plusnet router, but the original one I had way back when caused some grief because the printed WiFi key contained what looked like a '6' but turned out to be a lower case 'b'.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
pjbw127
Hooked

The password on the back of my 2704 has all the letters in lowercase. Could this be the problem ?

jab1
Legend

@pjbw127 OK - I didn't know the 2704n was lower-case - in which case, make sure you are connected to your router (as mentioned above) and enter the wi-fi password exactly as shown.

John
pjbw127
Hooked

Yes, my 2704n router has PLUSNET-xxxxxx which exactly corresponds with what my tablet about 2 feet away detects.

I have touch-typed on QWERTY manual keyboards for 20 years (Microsoft, now Windows 7 on desktop mainly) or so. I find the contact keyboard(s)  (3 pages: lowercase, uppercase, numbers) on the Android Fire very tedious and error prone, especially for blind passwords*. It could be that my entries are faulty and with no error message my attempts are being counted out.

I'll keep trying ....

* Maybe Android is set up for tiny smartphones with minimal memory and screen size.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@pjbw127 there's usually an option to show the password as you're typing it in . Often it's an icon that looks like an eye next to the password box

wrinkelyom
Hooked
Fixes: 1

I have an Android tv box the refuses to accept the correctly typed WiFi password, the only way I got it to connect was by using the WPS key on the router