Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m still getting disconnections.

ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: I’m still getting disconnections.

Jessica,
The problem is that BT supply your voice service, so any tests raised on the broadband won't have found any faults per se.
If you're getting noise on the line, then you need to call BT on 150 and say you have a noisy voice line - don't mention any aspect of broadband or they will bounce you round like the proverbial, and insist that they investigate it properly as it is a intermittent fault.
All being well, and the likes, once your line is repaired you should notice your broadband disconnections will disappear.
To clarify, BT Openreach (BT Wholesale provide the BB products to PN)  are responsible for the network infrastructure and the cabling from your house to the exchange.

Hope this helps.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you got anything capable of recording the noise on the line. If you were able to capture the 17070 announcement of your number followed by the noise there wouldn't be much argument that it happens.
Do you get noise on any quiet line tests when the filter and router are not plugged in?
TBH Plusnet are a bit hamstrung on faults like this; because they are only providing the broadband and not your voice service they can only report broadband faults. When it's apparent that the root cause is a voice fault the quickest route to getting it resolved is to report the fault as a voice fault to your phone provider.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Jessica
Grafter

This really is an intermittent fault.  I did the quiet line test six times before I heard any noise.  How could I record this noise, any suggestions?
Toolbox
Grafter

My handset has a record function but I also use an old minidisc recorder connected to the phone line with a £10 adaptor.
Something like this: Maplin Order Code: ZQ79L
newthing
Grafter

try that 17070 quiet line test with nothing else but the one phone
attached / or just the phone AND router on the line
(on the off chance the router or its connectors are our intermittent noise source.
as described in more detail in>
Force9Ogiginals post #33
  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,86252.msg715763.html#msg715763
Good luck girl:, this has been months ago this has been going.
As suggested above listen, and try quiet line test.
Probable by now that something on the line sounds (occasionally) like
the deep fat frier is the best way I can alliterate to it 🙂

let us know what line sounds like.
I see some of the Routerstats noise spikes seem grouped, and might be particular times, so don't
necessarily dismiss the first 3 min of listening to silence. Likely Fridge, Cental Heating, Taxi radios, what have you...
I will (could) be a joy to cure it.
Routerstats also plots bits per tone like the attached, from my line.
Check out yours, may hint at the noises'  characterisic (or not)
Possible to  make out our local radion stations peaks in the old Medium Wave band in the bits / tone.
point the mouse over the live chart and it reads back Frequencies of un-used tones (eg. 810 kHz radio Scotland MW I think)
Tones that eventually get marked for non-use due to random noise.

T
** <<I just don't know how I missed this bit before i wrote the pre-ceding.>
<<.I just did the ‘quiet line test’ again.  This is probably where the fault is.  Sometimes it’s dead silent, and then, on the odd occasions,
  there a lot of noise.  If I ran the test 10 times, three would be noisy.
<<I haven’t reported the noise to BT because I’ve just had an email from Plusnet saying that BT (their supplier) have carried out tests
  and couldn’t find any problems.  Why didn’t BT find any problems?  Didn’t BT hear the noise?  Perhaps they only tested when the line was quiet.
  After all, it is an intermittent fault.
<<How do I report this noise fault to BT when it’s intermittent?
My recent experience:
Reporting it to Plusnet, and BT (as your phone line provider), as an _intermittent_  fault, simultaneously(PN/BT).
    This is what I recently did myself ( Mid March). I was given an appoinment (by BT)for a visit,
the BT faults engineer came out and did some re-wiring, fault (star-wiring) cleared.

Caveat - -  usual standard warnings about that cost of £14x? _could_ be charged to me (as the subscriber)
_if fault caused by my equipment_ or no fault.
(in practice, as the guy said on his visit - How can he prove _no fault_?)
No worries if its clear there is a fault, just checking all these things carefully
to eliminate the possibility that there is some fault with / or _caused by_ your equipment.
which there hopefully by now has been established - there is not.(?)
    If your OK with it being not your stuff
Fire on and report faults - when you can get some time to be in for 1-2 hour engineer visit,
sometimes this could escalate to former DTi investigating the noise source,
but thats hopefully for another time/someone else/elsewhee.
heh
Good fun/
Good luck
Toby

Jessica
Grafter

Thanks for all the help and continuing support.
For the past five days I’ve been connected without a single disconnection (I can’t believe it myself, we had a party).  My sync was back to 7616 and my IP profile was at 6500.  The first normality since March 27th.  But, yesterday, late afternoon it started raining and the disconnections started again.  I don’t know how many for sure because my modem log is short.  It only recorded the last four disconnections.
It's difficult catching the noise on the line because it's so intermittent.  But I will try.
I understand what you’re saying about interference, but it could be anything!  The process of elimination could take weeks or even months.  Where do you start? 
Why now?  I’ve been with Plusnet for 18 months and before them, Pipex.  I’ve never had this problem before.
My father reported the noisy line to BT.  I was at work at the time.  He was asked straight away if we had broadband.  He was then told that it was an internal wiring fault and if we wanted an engineer to call it would cost us £144+VAT.  I believe that’s intimidation.  They also said that they had been monitoring the line for the past 14 days and it was within working guidelines.  How did they know?
My father then reported the matter to Ofcom as we were getting nowhere.  This was the day that the disconnections stopped.  We thought (wrongly) that Ofcom had stuck a rocket up BT bum and got it sorted for us.
Anyway, looks like we’re stuck for the moment.  My father is waiting to hear from Ofcom.  It’s taking time because we had to put it in writing and provide evidence (emails, logs etc etc).
I hope this get sorted out soon.  It’s making me ill.
Thanks everyone.

newthing
Grafter

try the engineer appointment yourself and just ask for a check
Keyphrase:   "Intermittent fault"
no need to mention BB
until the eng person arrives anyhow
they are using intimidation / threats w/£144 no fault
they are also "just pointing this out" 🙂
try the whole thing of getting someone out,
prob solved hopefully
only way they will start an investigation for def,
but usual to just connect up and go, oh no, thats not right,
fix
done
its their job, they recognise faults all day every day
I know I don't know, thats why to get them in.
£xxx is a ruse to keep real nuisances at bay, never norally deployed,
let them have a go, NB. 2p worth keep Dads out of it :-), sounds like needless escalation (ofcom will keep him busy for months)
🙂
Toby
Toolbox
Grafter

I was goping to ask about rain.
You got rain getting into one of the connection pods or a duck.
I used to get that here after a BT engineer had been working on the pole over the road, I would go out when they left and turn it up so water could run out.