Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m still getting disconnections.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: I’m still getting disconnections.

With a bit of luck the wind today should bring the line down and then they will have to sort it!
Can you hear any interference etc when you use the phone?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Jessica
Grafter

Hi jelv,
Yes, there's a lot of noise on the line.  Sometimes its silent, but most of the time there's hiss, crackle and pops (sounds like a cereal).
The disconnections continue..
I’ve noticed this line in my recent log.  It’s always followed by a disconnection.  Does anyone know what it is?
IDS scan parser : tcp syn scan: 212.227.35.235 scanned at least 20 ports at 87.113.21.184. (1 of 1) : 212.227.35.235 87.113.21.184 0040 TCP 1101->8787 [S.....] seq 757147 win 4096
I haven't noticed it before.  It's new to me.
Thanks for replying.  At least someone is helping.
Jessica

jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you have reported this as a broadband fault and the line is noisy I'm not surprised that you are getting nowhere.
You need to close the broadband fault and report the noisy line to whoever you pay for your phone - and say nothing at all about the broadband. Once you get the phone fixed the broadband should sort itself out over the following day or two.
Force9Original
Grafter

Have you carried out a BT  quiet line test facility by  dialling 17070 ?( its free)
If not, plug (a wired phone if poss)  into the main BT master socket.Also un plug any other phone extentions.
Dial 17070,  press option 2 the quiet line  test.
You should hear 'Quiet Line Test' and then silence, there should be no pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing.
If you do hear noise, then you can report a BT line fault Smiley
Lots of info on the  quiet Line test here...
http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t181.html

Charles101
Grafter

I went through months of this, never did get it solved.  Sent new modem and all.  A friend who has been in the industry made the comment that disconnections are often used to control the contention ratio.  This is stated at 1:20 or 1:50 etc in your contract, to meet these the ISP disconnects some users.  This seems to be what happens with Plusnet though I've never seen it admitted. Sad  I've had friends not sign up to Plusnet due to these discolorations.
Charles
Jessica
Grafter

That's very interesting.  Any one from Plusnet like to comment?
I’m using a program to monitor my connection.  I’ve just had three disconnections.
Can any one tell me what’s causing the disconnections from this readout:-
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy31/Screendump/routerstats1.jpg
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Charles101
I went through months of this, never did get it solved.  Sent new modem and all.  A friend who has been in the industry made the comment that disconnections are often used to control the contention ratio.  This is stated at 1:20 or 1:50 etc in your contract, to meet these the ISP disconnects some users.  This seems to be what happens with Plusnet though I've never seen it admitted. Sad  I've had friends not sign up to Plusnet due to these discolorations.

I've seen some bilge posted on these forums from time to time, but that really takes the biscuit.
Jessica, I can assure you that it is complete and utter rubbish!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Jessica
I’m using a program to monitor my connection.  I’ve just had three disconnections.
Can any one tell me what’s causing the disconnections from this readout:-

We know what's causing your disconnections - it's the noise you can hear on the line.
Let me give you an analogy. If you had a Rolls Royce and you drove it along a road full of pot holes and ruts you wouldn't get a smooth ride - no matter how good the car you won't get a smooth ride.
In your case, no matter how good your router, how much you tweak things, how much the exchange ups your target noise margin to avoid the errors, if your line is rough your broadband will be rough.
Do as Force9Original suggested, plug a telephone ONLY in to the test socket inside the master socket (without the router) - preferably using a wired phone not a cordless and check if the line is still noisy.
If it is the ONLY way you will get a resolution of your problem in a reasonable time is to report the phone fault to the company you pay for your phone.
Charles101
Grafter

I've seen some bilge posted on these forums from time to time, but that really takes the biscuit.
Jessica, I can assure you that it is complete and utter rubbish!

OK, so the contention ratio is handled in what way? 
On mine noise was supposedly not the problem, the SYN always stayed OK, I would just get disconnected.  Log into router and reconnect took about 45 sec so gave up and just accepted.  The comment came from a friend who has dealt with a lot of connection issues and simply made sense of the rather frequent complaints that seem to go beyond the noise issue.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you knew the tiniest amount about ADSL you would know that contention ratios were scrapped when ADSL Max was introduced. When exchanges are over subscribed people see slowdowns - not disconnections.
Jessica
Grafter

@ Force9Original,
I did the ‘quiet line test’ and is was in fact quiet.  But, I have noticed that when I dial someone and wait for the person on the other end to answer the phone, there is a lot of noise (and I mean a lot).  As soon as the phone is answered, the line noise disappears.  It’s only very noisy when it ringing.
Any ideas?
The disconnections are really bad now (approx. 20 per day).  IP profile is down to 5000.  My sync is all over the place.  Here’s a log:-

Recorded Events

Time Message

Info 26 days 17:09:14 (since last boot) LOGIN User tried to login on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.64)

Info 26 days 17:06:55 (since last boot) FIREWALL event (1 of 1): deleted rules

Info 26 days 17:06:55 (since last boot) xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 6144 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 16.0 dB, Up: 11.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 12.5 dB, Up: 13.0 dB)

Info 26 days 17:06:35 (since last boot) xDSL linestate down

Info 26 days 17:05:55 (since last boot) FIREWALL event (1 of 1): deleted rules

Info 26 days 17:05:54 (since last boot) xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 7616 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 15.0 dB, Up: 10.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 13.0 dB, Up: 22.0 dB)

Info 26 days 17:05:36 (since last boot) FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules

Info 26 days 17:05:36 (since last boot) xDSL linestate down

Info 26 days 05:07:12 (since last boot) FIREWALL event (1 of 1): deleted rules

Info 26 days 05:07:11 (since last boot) xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 6272 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 16.0 dB, Up: 11.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 12.5 dB, Up: 13.0 dB)

Info 26 days 05:06:56 (since last boot) FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules

Info 26 days 05:06:56 (since last boot) xDSL linestate down

Info 26 days 04:57:15 (since last boot) LOGIN User tried to login on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.64)

Info 26 days 03:59:11 (since last boot) CONFIGURATION saved by TR69

Info 26 days 03:58:58 (since last boot) FIREWALL event (1 of 1): deleted rules

Warning 26 days 03:58:55 (since last boot) PPP link up (Internet) [87.113.172.157]

Info 26 days 03:58:55 (since last boot) PPP CHAP Chap receive success : authentication ok

Info 26 days 03:58:55 (since last boot) PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = pcl-ag04)

Info 26 days 03:58:54 (since last boot) PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = ERX10.Birmingham3)

Info 26 days 03:58:40 (since last boot) FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules

Warning 26 days 03:58:38 (since last boot) PPP link down (Internet) [87.113.145.217]

Info 26 days 03:54:00 (since last boot) FIREWALL event (1 of 1): deleted rules

Info 26 days 03:53:59 (since last boot) xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 7616 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 15.0 dB, Up: 10.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 13.5 dB, Up: 23.0 dB)

Info 26 days 03:53:42 (since last boot) FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules

Info 26 days 03:53:42 (since last boot) xDSL linestate down

Info 26 days 03:50:13 (since last boot) FIREWALL event (1 of 1): deleted rules

Info 26 days 03:50:12 (since last boot) xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 6176 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 16.0 dB, Up: 11.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 12.5 dB, Up: 13.0 dB)

Info 26 days 03:49:56 (since last boot) FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules

Info 26 days 03:49:55 (since last boot) xDSL linestate down

Info 26 days 03:24:51 (since last boot) LOGIN User tried to login on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.64)

Info 26 days 03:13:16 (since last boot) FIREWALL event (1 of 1): deleted rules
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Who do you pay for your phone rental? What did they say when you reported the voice fault?
There's no point whatsoever in you repeatedly posting the logs - they don't tell us anything we don't already know!
Jessica
Grafter

Well, I’ve given up!  Both BT and Plusnet can’t find anything wrong their end.  The problem has to be my end.
I’ve changed all the cables, tried several ‘new’ filters, I’ve bought a new router and new telephone.  Last night I connected the router directly into the back of the BT socket (removing both phone and filter) and I still got disconnections.
I’ve even moved the router away from the computer.  In case of interference.
What else could be causing all these disconnections?
Can any one suggest trying anything else?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I did the ‘quiet line test’ and is was in fact quiet.  But, I have noticed that when I dial someone and wait for the person on the other end to answer the phone, there is a lot of noise (and I mean a lot).  As soon as the phone is answered, the line noise disappears.  It’s only very noisy when it ringing.

Hi jelv,
Yes, there's a lot of noise on the line.  Sometimes its silent, but most of the time there's hiss, crackle and pops (sounds like a cereal).

These are the reasons why you are having problems.
If you could directly answer the questions we might be able to help; starting with
Quote from: jelv
Who do you pay for your phone rental? What did they say when you reported the voice fault?

Is the new telephone you bought a wired or a cordless phone? If it's cordless can you borrow a wired phone just for testing?
Do you have more than one phone extension socket? If so are all the other sockets dead when the front of master socket is removed so you can get at the test socket.
To start with let's address the noises you commented on in the first quote above. Unplug the router and filter and plug the (wired preferably) phone directly in to the test socket. Now try the test you did with ringing another number to see if it is still noisy.
Jessica
Grafter

Hi jelv,
Thanks for the continuing help.  Looks like Plusnet have given up caring.  I joined Plusnet two years ago because of their award winning customer service.  What happened to it?
To answer your questions; I pay BT for my phone line.  My new phone is wired.  There is only  one phone.  There are no extensions.  I have the filter plugged into the back of the master socket with the telephone and router plugged into the filter.
I just did the ‘quiet line test’ again.  This is probably where the fault is.  Sometimes it’s dead silent, and then, on the odd occasions, there a lot of noise.  If I ran the test 10 times, three would be noisy.
I haven’t reported the noise to BT because I’ve just had an email from Plusnet saying that BT (their supplier) have carried out tests and couldn’t find any problems.  Why didn’t BT find any problems?  Didn’t BT hear the noise?  Perhaps they only tested when the line was quiet.  After all, it is an intermittent fault.
How do I report this noise fault to BT when it’s intermittent?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Jessica