cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m concerned about my Ping!

Javert
Grafter

I’m concerned about my Ping!

Ran a “Speedtest” this morning - it shows the Ping as being 853 MS.  Normally the Ping reading is in double figures. 
Being a non-tekkie person, I’m wondering a) why this is, b) is it anything to be concerned about?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
AndyH
Grafter

Re: I’m concerned about my Ping!

Hi
This thread is in the wrong forum - a mod will hopefully move it.
Can you run a speedtest.net test now and post the result on here (click Share this result)? Are you connected via wired or wireless?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Speed test sites rarely get the ping correct.  Its a way to show if your connection is going to perform badly with ping critical applications[online Games mostly].
Either use the window ping or use a utility to do it.
windows Startbar
click run
in run type cmd
in the window that opens type ping bbc.co.uk
Note do not do that while doing anything online, so close/stop any video streams/downloads etc as that will affect the result.  So that will tell you what it really is, lower the better.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
flaminmoses
Grafter

my ping is all over the place right now.
nightmare for gameing.
Javert
Grafter

Thanks for replies (sorry I originally posted in wrong place).
Perhaps my question about the high Ping (!) wasn’t really necessary if “Speed test sites rarely get the ping correct” - and I think this might get way “out of my depth”.  Embarrassed
Thanks
John
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If doing online gaming, ping will affect how long it takes for a button press/mouse click to be seen on the server you are playing on, the higher the ping the longer it takes.
e.g. you line up some one to headshot that is facing away from you in a  first person shooter and fire, if its a low ping you hit them or if its a high ping you are likely to miss.  Or worse if its a high enough ping, what you are seeing is not what is actually happening and that player you are trying to headshot is actually looking at you and about to pull the trigger but from a different position and not what you are looking at.  They have the ping advantage.
So a rough guide is if the server is in
UK, you want a ping to the server of 15ms if you are luck or more likely it will be 25-30 ms, as once you join the game 10 to 15ms is usually added on top of that
Western europe, 50+
USofA, best you will get is 100ms due to how they router traffic
20-30 is ideal with little or no lag
40-60 you have to start leading you shots if the target is moving
70-100 a fair bit more
125+ no point for a FPS that is just too high unless you are used to it
Note this doesn't really affect MMO's as much as you don't have to Aim in the majority of them, even in pvp.  Then as long as the ping is lower than 150ms its fine
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November