Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have really got problems

charliew
Grafter

I have really got problems

Hi iv just switched over from another provider and been switched on today
When we initially called to initiate the switch we specifically asked for unlimited, the lad (Martin) on the phone even asked about the quantity and type of devices we have in the household,  he even agreed we would require unlimited broadband and we agreed terms at £24.48 and signed up for plusnet. A few days later we received our account conformation letter and it stated we would have a 10mb limit rather than unlimited.
We called plusnet immediately as we thought it was just an administraton error, the lassie said she couldn't change it and we would have to wait until we were connected.
I was connected today and would like to know how to get the account to unlimited please
71 REPLIES 71
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: wrong tariff help

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
As per the call with our advisors we can't change the account type until the orders are complete I'm afraid (that's including the home phone) however we'll be happy to do that as soon as that order is complete.
Hope that helps.
charliew
Grafter

Thanks for the replys, will this take long as I notice I'm already racing through my allowance, so much so that i keep getting cut off, indeed I'm using my mobile phone provider to send this as I have no Plusnet connection again,
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You should not be cut off
Set the extra usage to zero and then the only effect is that you will be throttled to a crawl (256kbps up and down)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd have hoped a member of staff would have assured the OP that the account would be changed as soon as possible (and not on the next billing date) and that they would be refunded any charges for extra usage so it shouldn't be necessary to set the extra usage limit!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
charliew
Grafter

Thanks Jelv, I cant see why it isnt just done by flicking some switch somewhere/pressing an enter key
Its starting to go beyond the initial enquiry now, I'm actually just away to check on the cooling off period small print, I have never had such a shocking connection, i left bt because they were inept but im getting a quicker internet on my mobile phone in the house through vodafone payg than plusnet b/band, last night there was no conection, there has been no connection on any morning since it was installed, I even stupidy thought I could watch a youtube clip yesterday

Edit
Ok lets play that game, no one has switched off the modem,  but
1835 that's it off again - no broadband found
1848 - it works again
1854 - no broadband found, 6 minutes online whoo hoo, things are looking up
1900 - on again
1914 - off
1923 - working
1928 - off and still off at 2005, what is the point.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you had a problem anywhere on your line with BT Retail it is absolutely 100% guaranteed you will have a problem with Plusnet or any other ISP using BT Wholesale to deliver the service. It's all being delivered using exactly the same wires and exchange equipment.
If you post the information requested here we'll see what we can do to help you sort things out.
charliew
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
If you had a problem anywhere on your line with BT Retail it is absolutely 100% guaranteed you will have a problem with Plusnet or any other ISP using BT Wholesale to deliver the service. It's all being delivered using exactly the same wires and exchange equipment.
If you post the information requested here we'll see what we can do to help you sort things out.

I'm struggling with that as I'm on my phone/small screen, its a struggle to take in what's actually asked for on the link. I can't get any inet at all on Plusnet now, technicolor tg582n. What you say makes sense as this seems like a greatly exaggerated version of the problems I had started to encounter with bt, it could also probably explain why my phone is also a terrible line
jelv
Seasoned Hero

OK - if the phone is bad forget the information requested in that post - broadband won't work on a crap line. Report a voice fault to whoever you pay for your line rental. Once the line is clear you should find the broadband sorts itself out (but it sometimes needs a little poke to recognise the improved line).
charliew
Grafter

advice pleaae

I've been a Plusnet customer nearly a week, in that period the connection has been terrible, its been off line constantly, every morning it doesn't work, it has spells of working for 10 minutes then going off for anything between 5 minutes and 3 or 4 hours. It's been off for the last three hours, before that we had an hours service when it was actually pretty decent. It didn't last
I called yesterday and they asked why I had been switching it off, it hadn't been switched off, there now sending a replacement router, I don't think this will make much difference as we were actually having a similar butmuch smaller scale problem with our bt connection in the last week of their service, I left them after 3 years because they wanted to charge me for a new modem as they said that was causing the fault
I did a bt phone line check this morning and it came back as being ok
I don't know what any of it really means but I managed to do a Plusnet modem check at about quarter past midnight this morning and got the following
Primary dns 212.159.6.10
Secondry dns 212.159.6.9
Uptime
Bandwidth (up/down) 192/160
Data transferred 1754/84.94
Download speed mbps 0.09
Upload speed mbps 0.12
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: I have really got problems

Two topics merged and title changed to keep everything in one place
If charliew wants to change the title to something more suitable just select Edit (not quick edit) on the opening post
Oldjim
Resting Legend

To take this a bit further can you posts the stats from http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
This it an example of what we need
Uptime: 13 days, 7:27:47
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 800 / 4.032
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 1,99 / 1,55
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,6 / 19,3
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26,5 / 50,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11,0 / 4,1
In addition do you have a master socket like this with a removable lower part.
If you do can you plug the router into it via a filter with nothing else connected and report the stats again
Finally can you advise who the other provider was - reason for asking is that we want to know if it was LLU or BTw supplied connection
charliew
Grafter

Thanks, the initial thread changed to a different problem so I started one in what I believe the right forum
Oldjim, I can't get on to do the check, my tablet says I have a good connection but every time try to get onto a page the url gets prefixed with dsldevice.lan/cgi/b/ic/connect/?bn=1&client this is new as it normally asks me (everyone) to log into the Plusnet router. The router has one green light at power and a flashing green at broadband, the oval WiFi light is green
I do have that style of wall socket and I was with bt unlimited, I called them when I initially had a problem, a lad in India got me to do that screw cover thing and he must have done the check from his end as I had to leave it plugged into the hidden socket for two hours, he then said he would send me a ADSL filter as that was the fault, when it never came I called back to be told it was actually the modem and they wanted me to buy a new one from them.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It sounds like you have brought the problem with you.
Regarding the router connection can you try this link http://192.168.1.254 ; and, if that gets you in to the router, click on Broadband Connection then under DSL connection click on View More and then on details
Once you can get into the router can you post the stats and then do the same from the test socket
As you moved from BT there wouldn't have been any changes at the exchange or your connection to the exchange which was why I asked the question